WFHB to present July 4 music festival

Event to honor Independence Day with national and regional musical acts.

Bloomington community radio station WFHB will sponsor the third annual July 4 Acoustic Roots Festival on Sunday afternoon behind the barn at the Story Inn bed & breakfast in Story, Ind.

The festival is a benefit for the community station that has broadcasted to listeners in south-central Indiana since 1993. It is set to be an Independence Day celebration of American roots, music and local cuisine.

Headlining this year’s festival will be Eilen Jewell, a bluesy roots musician who finished 2009 as WFHB’s most-played artist.

Jewell, who has received national and international acclaim for her third album, “Sea of Tears,” spans genres from country to folk and blues with a familiar yet retro sound.

WFHB Music Director Jim Manion said he is excited to have Jewell perform as the festival’s first-ever national act.

“We have really championed her music here along,” he said. “This is a great venue to bring her to and she truly appreciates the support of WFHB. She is contributing her performance fees to WFHB.”

Local and regional favorites will also take to the stage throughout the afternoon.
Columbus, Ind. folk singer and actor Tim Grimm will be performing alongside his wife Jan Lucas, as well as the White Lightning Boys.

Representing Bloomington will be the honky-tonk country band Davy Jay Sparrow and His Well Known Famous Drovers, as well as the country blues jug band Garden of Joy.

Bloomington folksy Americana singer-songwriter Bobbie Lancaster will be making her festival debut with her guitar player Nick Einterz. Her 2010 self-titled album has made its way into the WFHB’s top 10 current records.

“It’s going to be a really great day,” said Lancaster, who will be playing songs off of her new release. “In addition to really good local and regional performers, it’s important to show support for our community radio station. These people who volunteer there time at WFHB give a voice to a lot of different minority groups and show a lot of different angles on American life. Supporting them is really good choice.”

The festival will begin at 1 p.m. and is set to close around 9 p.m. Tickets may be purchased at the gate for $10 and kids 12 and younger get in free.

Manion said the Acoustic Roots Festival is a great alternative to celebrate July 4, as it will provide a snapshot of American roots music at a non-political venue rich in history.

He said that WFHB is very appreciative of all the acts, as they are volunteering their efforts free of charge to support the radio station.

Food prepared by the Story Inn’s summer restaurant will be available at the fairground, as well as a selection of local wine and beer. No coolers will be allowed into the event.

All of the musicians performing during the festival can be heard by tuning in to one of WFHB’s stations.