Remembering Howdy Wilcox

Creator of the Little 500
In 1951, Howard “Howdy” Wilcox, then-president of the IU Foundation, established a bike race that would eventually become one of IU’s greatest traditions.
Wilcox’s idea for the race was influenced by an informal race he saw between students outside of a dormitory.

Another source of inspiration was the Indianapolis 500. Wilcox’s father (also named Howdy) won the race in 1919, and his son modeled the Little 500 after it.

IU alumnus
Wilcox received a bachelor’s degree in journalism from IU in 1942. While at IU, he was a member of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. After graduation, he stayed active in the IU community as an alumnus and member of the board of trustees from 1962 to 1965.

Outside of the race, Wilcox was also the founder of the IU Student Foundation, and the white house they operate out of today carries his name.

Scholarship founder
When he created the Little 500, Wilcox did so not just as an outlet for competition, but also to raise scholarship money for college students. This aspect of the race is still important today.

In 2004, the Howdy Wilcox-ATO Little 500 Scholarship was created in his honor. The award was established following his death in March 2003 and is awarded annually at the beginning of each year’s men’s race.

–Sarah Thacker