Carell, Fey save 'Date Night'

date night

Even though Steve Carell and Tina Fey have had television shows air next to each other for years, they’ve never really had any sizable collaboration. With “Date Night,” the two comedians get a chance to combine their strengths and invest the film with some life.

Carell and Fey are Phil and Claire Foster, a couple whose marriage is starting to seem a bit dull. When they get the news that their best friends (Mark Ruffalo and Kristen Wiig) are getting divorced, the Fosters wonder if their own marriage can survive, considering that their friends were the ideal couple.

Phil decides to take Claire out on the town to reignite their feelings, but the upscale restaurant they go to is booked months in advance. Just when it looks like they are out of luck, Phil pretends to be a no-show couple and steals their table. Next thing they know, the Fosters are being held at gunpoint in an incredibly unfortunate case of mistaken identity.

Everyone has seen this film before. After being mistaken for someone else, the people in danger will delve even further into the conspiracy out of necessity, and will end up not only clearing their name but solving the crime. Or finding the Russian microfilm. Or whatever it is.

Even though this plot is nothing new, Fey and Carell are able to add new layers to this version. Because they aren’t incredibly glamorous, they actually look like real people caught up in a crazy plot.

Their comedic skills are also put to good use. Carell and Fey are both plenty funny on their own, but they have an excellent ability to play off each other for jokes. Even as they are running from a burning wreck or driving backwards in the most unlikely of car chases, they focus on the comedy, not the action.

“Date Night” can’t claim many special distinctions. The action sequences are good, not great. The script is fine, but nothing very interesting, and the story has definitely been recycled. By finding actors who work together seamlessly, the film rises above the standard action-comedy.