Banks takes advantage of increased role in spring scrimmage

Football

For someone who should be in high school, Antonio Banks is measuring up well on a college field.

The 18-year-old running back from Middletown, Ohio, ran for a team-high 42 yards on 10 carries in the Hoosiers’ second spring scrimmage Saturday morning at Memorial Stadium. He added 20 yards and a touchdown on 4 carries in red-zone drills.

But Banks, one of four members of the Hoosiers’ 2010 signing class participating in spring practice, said he had his mind on the one mistake he made.  

Midway through the scrimmage, senior linebacker Jeff Thomas — a junior college transfer and another 2010 signee — forced Banks to fumble the ball after a four-yard gain.  

“I thought I did all right after the fumble,” Banks said. “After the fumble, I got mad because coach Springer doesn’t like us fumbling. So I put it on myself to run harder.”

The hard running caught the eye of IU running backs coach Dennis Springer, and while he indeed isn’t a fan of fumbles, he’s been impressed with Banks’ progression.

“He came in with a lot of natural ability, and he’s fitting in well,” Springer said. “He’s running behind his pads very well, and more and more, he’s seeing the cuts and making the cuts a lot better than he did earlier in the spring.”

Although Banks’ cuts and broken tackles helped him shine, injuries to those ahead of him on the depth chart turned on the spotlight.  

Prospective No. 1 running back sophomore Darius Willis was out with a hip injury, and three others were out with ankle or toe injuries.

Only senior Trea Burgess and freshman Nick Turner joined Banks in the distribution of carries.  

“I thought all three probably got the same number, it just seemed like Antonio showed up,” IU coach Bill Lynch said.

Lynch cautioned, though, that Banks’ performance could be skewed to the naked eye.

“Right after a scrimmage you never get too excited because you never know who’s going against who,” he said. “Sometimes you get some mismatches in the line ... and that’s why the video is so good.”

Once fall begins, Banks will have plenty of company vying for competitive playing time. IU currently boasts six other running backs on the roster, and the rest of the incoming class only adds to the mix.

Maine South (Ill.) running back Matt Perez, Chicago Tribune’s 2009 High School Football Player of the Year, tops that list.

Banks, meanwhile, comes with little fanfare. A two-star recruit by Rivals, he ran for 1,023 yards and 17 touchdowns his senior year.

While he was Middletown High School’s first 1,000-yard rusher since 2005, his numbers are far from Perez’s 2,246 yards and 34 touchdowns.  

Still, Banks said if he continues to study the playbook and continue his hard-nosed style of running, he will have a chance to play on Saturdays. Springer agreed, and he kept his advice for Banks simple.

“Just keep doing what he’s doing,” Springer said. “You never know how things are going to shake out in the fall, but if he keeps competing like he is, you never know what’s going to happen.”