Students hope to change lives one brigade at a time

Today a child in Honduras woke up and had a glass of water. Today a mother in Honduras cooked for her children.

Both of these Hondurans are killing themselves, but they have no other options.

Contaminated water and the improper ventilation in homes that leads to respiratory illnesses are just a few aspects that the Global Brigades at IU will examine thanks to sophomore Gordon Lang.

Inspired by his brother’s involvement with the University of Texas’ Global Brigades, Lang stepped foot on IU’s campus in the fall of 2008 wanting to offer his school an opportunity to be a part of an international volunteer group.

His offer became the birth of the Global Brigades at IU, one of 110 university chapters worldwide.

“This organization gives you the opportunity to apply your knowledge and make a positive impact in the world,” Lang said.

From there, Lang contacted then-freshman Ryan Kelleher for help. Kelleher became the head of the Global Brigades overseas coordination and Medical Brigades president. Although Kelleher is planning to go to medical school, no specific major is required be a part of any brigade.

“That’s the whole idea behind the organization, that we want to expose students to the developing world,” Lang said. “At IU, you’re kind of in a bubble ... and you don’t see much outside of it. This gives you the opportunity to step outside the comfort zone a little bit and see what it’s like in the real world.”

The chapter is a part of Global Brigades Inc., a non-profit organization comprised of 12 subsidiaries. IU has four of these subsidiaries — public health, water, medical and business.

Compared to other student activities, the Global Brigades is a low-commitment organization. The group only ask for about a week-long brigade to Honduras or Panama.

Public health brigades President junior Kathleen Schmitt said she thinks her spring break will have a major impact on her life.

“I read about Honduras all the time and you see it on TV,” Schmitt said. “But, you can change the channel or ... look the other way. I think first hand, seeing it up close, that’s going to be the hardest part for me.”

Schmitt said her brigade plans to educate the children they meet on public health needs such as how to properly brush their teeth and wash their hands, information they have never been given since they do not have money to see doctors and dentists.

About eight doctors, many of whom are connected to someone in the Global Brigades at IU and the Global Medical Brigades, will provide about 1,500 Honduran patients each with a three-month supply of medication.

Since the medical brigade has taken a longer time to organize, fundraise and recruit, its trip will not be until May.

However, Schmitt said Global Brigades Inc. is in Honduras and Panama working with people year-round.

“Global Brigades really wants us to build on relationships so they know they can trust us so we don’t just stay there one day and then pick up and leave,” Schmitt said.

Regardless, Lang, Schmitt and Kellher are ready to make a positive impact during their spring break.

“Global Brigades takes a look at the problems and it fixes them,” Kellher said. “So you treat those underlying issues. You don’t just put a band-aid on the problem, so in the long run you have solutions.”