ATO slashes membership as National Fraternity admits hazing, alcohol problems

Alpha Tau Omega fraternity announced Monday that it will drastically reduce the number of members in its Delta Alpha chapter at IU, in the wake of alcohol violations and an ethics board review.

“In addition to hazing, there were other issues,” said Wynn Smiley, chief executive officer of the national fraternity, in a video statement  on the fraternity’s Web site. “Low grade point averages, a lack of willingness to admit that the chapter was not in a good place based on actions of members, and in some cases, a general attitude that if Delta Alpha was not ‘party central,’ what was the point? ‘After all,’ one commented, ‘ATO is not really about anything other than to facilitate alcohol-fueled parties.’”

Smiley’s decision to remove ATO members came a week after the fraternity conducted a member review March 1 that he said involved interviews and drug tests.

The review began as a result of a Jan. 25 Student Organization Ethics Board meeting, at which ATO representatives were asked about alleged alcohol violations in December 2009 and January 2010, said Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Student Activities Steve Veldkamp. He added that the meeting concerned only alcohol violations.

Smiley said only about 20 of the more than 100 members have been asked to stay on as ATO brothers, pending appeals.

Smiley said the national fraternity was aware of many of the problems and gave members a chance to explain their side of the story.

“It was very clear that the chapter was participating in hazing activities,” Smiley said. “However, when asked about those activities, many members chose to deny that there was any hazing going on. It appeared the stories had been agreed upon by the undergrads, and many were adhering to the company line, despite being given multiple chances to come clean.”

But an alumnus involved with the house said the violations are not indicative of the character of ATO members.

“I don’t necessarily think there’s a bunch of bad guys in there and the place needs to be shut down — that’s not the case,” said Kent Miller, an ATO alumnus and president of the fraternity’s housing corporation. “I just know that based on how we run the chapter today, we feel that the standard, the bar of excellence, could be higher.”

Veldkamp said after the ethics board review, the University met with ATO alumni and the national fraternity.

Veldkamp said all the groups wanted to keep ATO on-campus.

“It’s important to note that the alumni, national headquarters and campus felt that there were a number of men who are really valiantly trying to meet their stated ideals,” Veldkamp said. “Now it’s up to them to prove us right and succeed.”

Dean of Students Pete Goldsmith said he was happy with the solution reached between the University and ATO officials because it will “help them be successful in the future.”

“All fraternities and sororities are value-based organizations,” he said. “When they live up to those values, they can be a great part of the community.”

While closing the house was an option for the national fraternity, Smiley said both he and local alumni supported keeping a select group of members in the current house.

“It would have been much less work to pull the charter,” he said, “but I believe there are men in the chapter that are working and worth keeping the charter in place.”

Delta Alpha chapter President Ian Bell said in an interview he could not answer questions about the membership review or the IU ethics board judicial process.

Alpha Tau Omega was last cited for alcohol violations in 1992 and was not allowed to field a Little 500 team from 1992-94.

Miller said members not invited to stay will be allowed to live in the chapter house, located on Third Street across from Swain Hall, through the end of the school year.

“We do not see it as reasonable or logical to kick everybody out,” he said. “That would be heartless.”