IU loses 10th-straight game at Iowa, 73-57

Iowa basketball halftime

Vowing to not overlook the Hawkeyes again, the Hoosiers entered Carver-Hawkeye Arena determined to break out of a nine-game slide.

However, for just the third time in school history, the IU men's basketball team has lost 10 consecutive Big Ten games after a 73-57 loss at Iowa on Sunday night — the longest conference losing streak since 1943-44.

The Hoosiers (9-19, 3-13) never led in the game and had three fouls, two missed shots and one turnover before scoring a point.

Unlike recent contests, IU was not facing an experienced team. In fact, guard Devan Balwinkel, who finished with 1 point, was the lone senior honored at Iowa's final home game of the 2010 season.

Instead, the Hawkeyes' (10-19, 4-12) youth simply outworked that of the Hoosiers, forcing 20 IU turnovers and grabbing six more offensive boards. Iowa sophomore guard Matt Gatens led the Hawkeye charge, scoring a career-high 25 points.

In a microcosm of the season, sophomore guard Verdell Jones and freshman forward Christian Watford led IU with 22 and 13 points, respectively.

The Hoosiers, who have never lost 11-straight Big Ten games in their history, will travel to West Lafayette, Ind., on Wednesday to battle the No. 3 Purdue Boilermakers (24-4, 12-4).

—Ryan Winn