BPP introduce big plans for new season

Cadilac

The John Waldron Arts Center bustled with music and chatter Saturday when Bloomington residents filled the gallery in anticipation for the unveiling of the Bloomington Playwrights Project’s 2010-2011 season.

Chad Rabinovitz, the BPP’s producing artistic director, presented the theater’s plans for the year, which include a collaboration with the IU Theatre Department on a musical, as well as a production of the winner of the Reva Shiner Comedy Award and an Off Broadway/On Ninth production in which the BPP will take a brand new play from New York City and bring it to Bloomington.

Planning for the BPP’s AwareFest in October has also begun. The event is an effort by the BPP to spread awareness about an important topic through the arts. This year’s topic is “going green.”

Other arts organizations will also contribute to the festival, and the BPP plans to reach out to schools in Monroe County.

Rabinovitz also promised the Artistic Fulfillment Guarantee, through which any unsatisfied theatergoer can get a free ticket to another BPP show, no questions asked.

“We are the only ones in the world doing this,” Rabinovitz said. “This theater is not just unique to this area, it’s not just unique to Bloomington, it’s not just unique to the state or to the country. This theater is unique to the world.”

Afterwards, limos took show-goers to the BPP for a showing of “Cadillac,” the Project’s latest production about conflicting ethics and changing times in a used-car dealership.

The show ended with a recording of mayor Mark Kruzan, who could not attend the event, naming the past accomplishments of the BPP, calling it “an integral part of the area arts scene for three decades” and proclaiming Jan. 30, 2010 as Bloomington Playwrights Project Day.

Rabinovitz and managing director Gabe Gloden then kicked off BPP’s Lights Out/Heat Off “going green” initiative with a humorous candle-lighting ceremony.
The BPP will continue to function with minimal heat and electricity until after the Feb. 4 showing of “Cadillac.”

A talk-back session with “Cadillac” playwright Bill Jepsen took place in the candlelight where Jepsen discussed his play, BPP’s production of it and the Chicago Dramatists’ Playwrights Network, where he works. He also spoke about the future of American plays and BPP’s role in protecting that future.

“Chad spoke tonight about how there’s a danger right now of losing the new American play because of lots of factors out there,” Jepsen said. “There are very few organizations that dedicate themselves solely to new plays and each one has their own little niche that they’re doing.”