men's basketball

Tonight’s spotlight on talented freshmen

Believe the hype. 

There might not be any true “diaper dandy,” leave-early-for-the-NBA-type talents among IU’s highly touted freshman class, but these guys are darn good.

Though center Bawa Muniru will be forced to watch from the sidelines, still awaiting his clearance from the NCAA, the other five freshmen will suit up in full uniform for the first time as Hoosiers today.

While each of them has been on display at Hoosier Hysteria, the open practices and the Haunted Hall of Hoops, for many fans this will be their first look at IU’s young talent.

Here’s a breakdown of what to expect from the freshmen tonight and throughout the year:  

No. 1 Jordan Hulls, Guard
Despite averaging 17.5 turnovers per game a year ago, IU shouldn’t be as worried about sloppy play with Jordan Hulls in the game. Hulls, the 25th Indiana Mr. Basketball to play for IU, is a great leader, handles pressure well and has an extremely high basketball IQ. 

Offensively, he has great court vision and distributes the ball well but is also a strong shooter coming around screens and off the dribble.

More than anything, he’s a winner, and after watching him play, it’s no surprise he was such a highly rated point guard prospect.

No. 2 Christian Watford, Forward
 Christian Watford brings the Hoosiers length and versatility, two things they lacked in 2008-09. IU coach Tom Crean has called him a “match-up nightmare” as he has the ability to take smaller guys down low and can beat bigger defenders to the rim.

Watford has that long, athletic, almost NBA-type body, and he likes to get to the rack on offense. He also has good range and is tough defensively.

Watford was a consensus top-50 recruit, and he chose IU instead of Alabama, Kentucky, Louisville and Memphis.  

No. 3 Maurice Creek, Guard

Maurice Creek is a threat to score any time he has the ball in his hands, so it’s no wonder Crean has referred to him as a “prolific shooter.”

Though Creek has carried that reputation with him throughout high school and also on the AAU circuit, the Washington-area native is also a solid ball handler and very underrated defensive player.

Last year, the four-star recruit averaged 18.4 points, five rebounds, four assists, two steals and two blocks for prep power Hargrave Military Academy.

No. 15 Bawa Muniru, Center
As expected, Bawa Muniru is raw but has lots of potential. After joining the team late this summer, Muniru has some catching up to do.

His hands aren’t terrible, but he also isn’t the most intimidating shot blocker.
Despite what he might have shown at Hoosier Hysteria, Muniru is a big dunker when he gets the ball in the open court.

Should Muniru be cleared to play for the Hoosiers, he should be a fun player to watch develop during his four years with Crean.

No. 23 Bobby Capobianco, Forward
Bobby Capobianco might look like just another big body, but as seen these last few weeks, this kid’s got some range. His ability to step outside and run the floor, while also playing tough inside, should earn him minutes.

He is by no means extremely athletic, but he has a remarkable attitude and work ethic.

Above all, Capobianco has displayed his passion for being a Hoosier and he will likely be a fan favorite. The real question is how the students will chant his seven-syllable name.

No. 32 Derek Elston, Forward
Though Derek Elston hasn’t received as much hype as some of the other IU freshmen, he could arguably be the top player in the class.

While Watford is known for his versatility, Elston is athletic in his own right and can essentially play any position on the floor. Elston can score inside, outside and from mid-range, and he handles the ball very well for a 6-foot-9-inch forward.

As a senior, Elston averaged 19.7 points, 10.8 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game. His father, Darrell, played at North Carolina and briefly professionally.  

Prediction: There’s really no knowing what to expect from the young Hoosiers tonight, especially with some of the injuries recently sustained in practice. But even last year, IU opened its exhibition slate with a 32-point win versus lesser competition.

The Lancers are an NAIA squad with just four players taller than 6 feet, 4 inches and, like IU, have just five upperclassmen. Grace will need more than a prayer to hang with IU.

Indiana 95, Grace 60