Tavis Smiley talks about success at SPEA dedication

Scholarships made an IU education possible for Tavis Smiley, and now the successful TV show host and political commentator is giving back.

Smiley donated $50,000 to the School of Public and Environmental Affairs to establish the Tavis Smiley Scholarship program for students that are underrepresented in institutions of higher education. The school plans to match the contribution.

The atrium of SPEA was renamed the Tavis Smiley Atrium on Friday.

During the dedication, Smiley talked about the hardship he encountered while entering college and acknowledged the people who helped him along the way. 

Smiley came to IU with a letter of admission, a suitcase and $35. He stayed in the lounges of Willkie Quad. With the help of Jimmy Ross, director of the IU Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, and David Hummons, director of Community and Student Engagement, Smiley was able to get a financial aid package and register for classes.

Smiley put college on hold his senior year and took a job working for Tom Bradley, the first African-American mayor of Los Angeles.

“I never lied about graduating from IU,” Smiley said. “I always said ‘attended.’”
About 16 years later, he received his degree after completing his remaining nine credit hours through correspondence.

“I worked hard to complete my degree to honor them,” Smiley said in reference to Ross, who died in 2002, and Hummons.

Hummons attended the ceremony to support Smiley.

“Tavis’ accomplishments and challenges are well known,” Hummons said. “However, he came here with values, with a set of skills and great morals he was raised on, and it has served him well.”

Smiley challenged SPEA students to understand the true meaning of leadership.

“You can’t lead people if you don’t love them,” Smiley said. “You can’t save people if you don’t serve them.”

Smiley spoke briefly about his new book, “Accountable: Making America as Good as Its Promise.” He said that America is less racist than it used to be, but “we have not
reached the crescendo.”

“At their best, politicians are public servants,” he said. “Just because we have a black man in the White House, we have not made it.”

Smiley gave some advice to underrepresented students.

“Get all the experience you can, because the money will come eventually,” Smiley said. “Find out what’s your passion. What’s the one thing you would do for free? And realize that whatever you do, it’s about more than yourself.”