Soul Revue to play at Bear’s Place

IU Soul Revue

The sounds of funk, R&B and soul will bridge the gap between new- and old-school radio jams when IU Soul Revue takes the stage at 9 p.m. today at Bear’s Place.

This is one of two performances scheduled for the remainder of the semester, the other taking place on Dec. 5.

Justin Merrick, graduate student and Soul Revue vocal coach and choreographer, said he believes the performance will “entice the soul.”

“Bear’s is a relaxed environment for lovers of soul and funk to be able to sit down in an intimate space,” Merrick said. “Performing for an audience that is knowledgeable on what you are doing makes my job so much easier and fun.”  

Merrick has been in the group for five semesters. Of those five, he’s been a vocal coach and choreographer for three. He said he enjoys working with the students and has expectations.

“Anytime I’m dealing with a group of talented students that are disciplined, it’s always a privilege,” Merrick said. “For me, it’s not about the product but about the journey we take to get there. I challenge the students to better themselves for each performance and them meeting these challenges is what makes my job enjoyable.”

Junior Ariana Scoggins  said she thinks the audience will be pleased with the sounds for today’s performance.

“IU Soul Revue brings diversity and enriches the culture of the IU campus by performing oldies and newbies,” Scoggins said.

Scoggins joined IU Soul Revue because of her passion for music and performing. This is Scoggins’ first semester performing with the group.  

“I have been vocally trained since I was six and have performed for 13 years now,” Scoggins said. “I have a passion for music and this seemed to be a perfect fit as well as I was thoroughly impressed by group.”

According to a press release about the group, Soul Revue’s music has made a name for itself for more than three decades.

The group will be singing popular songs such as Outkast’s “Hey Ya!” and Carlos Santana’s rendition of “Oye Come Va.”

Soul Revue is currently directed by Nathanael Fareed Mahluli.

“Last year’s performance was one of the best Bear’s performances we’d ever done,” Lakyra Pharms, senior and former Soul Revue member, said. “The audience was engaged the entire time and gave us an abundance of energy. It was the first time we were allowed to do current music including Beyonce, Jazmine Sullivan and Musiq Soulchild along with the ‘oldies but goodies.’”

Pharms joined Soul Revue in 2005 and was with the group for eight consecutive semesters.

“The summer before school started, I was in the GROUPS Theater Production and a lot of the students involved encouraged me to audition for Soul Revue,” Pharms said. “I continued to audition every semester after that because I loved being part of a group that paid respect to musicians before us with their own gifted talents. It gave me something to do to take my mind off the stresses of college.”

Pharms said tomorrow’s performance will be a sight to see.

“Every year the group gets new talent and every member grows and becomes more comfortable on stage and willing to go outside the box and perform,” she said. “What I saw on Friday, at their performance at Rawles Hall for the ‘Reclaiming to Right to Rock Conference’ was amazing. Every year the group gets better so I expect nothing but the best from them.”

Pharms reflects on what performing at Bear’s means to most members of the group.

“To us, the Bear’s shows are not just our time to shine but a time to party with fellow IU students, faculty, staff and Bloomington natives to the music we love and cherish the most,” she said.