Argentine tango couple show dance is 'more than movement'

Anyone interested in saving money and learning the Argentine tango from world-renowned instructors will soon have the chance.

From Friday to Sunday, the Bloomington Argentine Tango Organization and local music affiliate Minetti Productions will host a weekend workshop of “Harmony and Balance” with Argentine tango couple Fernanda Ghi and Guillermo Merlo at Space 101, located on the corner of 6th and Walnut streets.

Partners in dance and in life, Ghi and Merlo have performed in sold-out theaters and taught in more than 30 cities throughout the world.

BATO member Mia Dalglish said she believes that working with the couple will be a very enjoyable experience.

“They’re really charismatic ... they have a great sense of humor, and they are still thorough in the way they teach,” Dalglish said. “You know those instructors that are so magnetic that people just tend to gravitate toward them? That is certainly them.”

Contrary to what some might think, no movement patterns will be taught during this weekend’s workshop because no such thing exists in the context of tango dancing.
“Dancing is like a language,” Amaury de Siqueira, co-founder of BATO, said. “Every time you pair with someone, you never know what will happen.”

De Sequeira notes that an understanding of the body movement, listening and awareness of the music will aid the execution of the improvisation known as the Argentine tango. All of these basics will be covered in the workshop sessions.

Participants will learn about the history of tango music, as well as its form and structure. They vwill also learn how to listen to different melodies, sense the emotions of songs and come to understand how these components affect the Argentine tango.

Not only will attendees gain an understanding of the tango and its culture, they will also have the opportunity to experience one of BATO’s most prized values – a sense of community. Participants will have the chance to build their networks with attendees from as far as New Jersey and California.

Accomplished instructors, a networking opportunity and enriching sessions will cost attendees $100 to $190. Dalglish said the price has been cut by more than half in comparison to other workshops that are the same length and have instructors of such a caliber.

Anyone who wants to sign up for the workshop can visit BATO’s Web site at www.bloomingtontango.net.

Vice President of BATO Robert Baxter welcomes everyone of all ages and experience levels to enjoy the event.

“We are really hoping that this is going to be an event where people can go to be introduced to a new community and a new possibility of interaction,” he said.