Monday, June 17

Second Amendment Love

I grew up in a city that is unfortunately known for crime: Gary, Ind.

It is a great city that has a bad reputation. Among crimes, it’s mostly known for its run through the 1990s as being the murder capitol per capita of America.

Gary has cleaned up its act over the years, but crime continues to be a problem that plagues many places in America. Considering this, one would think that Gary – or any other place in the country for that matter – already has enough guns and need no more.

One would think that we have enough accurate shooters and need no additional training, but there is a nice guy in South Carolina who couldn’t disagree with you more.

I would like to introduce you to one Dean Allen.

Dean Allen, I assume, is a good guy. He is from South Carolina. I assume that he is loved in the community by many. What I do not have to assume is that he is an army veteran who has served this country with honor and dignity. He is also an aspiring politician who is in love with his country and it’s constitution – in particular, one very special amendment.

Dean Allen is running as a GOP candidate in South Carolina for the office of adjutant general. When referring to an adjutant general of a state, this general is in charge of the state’s military operations, in particular, the National Guard.

South Carolina is the only state in the union that elects this position, which, for me, raises another set of issues. But in order to raise money for his campaign, Dean Allen decided to have a “machine gun social.”

You read it right. According to the Greenville News, GOP candidate Dean Allen invited 500 of his closest friends out to a shooting range Saturday.

For $25, attendees got good ol’ southern barbeque and a clip of bullets to practice their aim at the shooting range where he had this little “machine gun social.” To make it even more exciting, all who attended had a chance to win a semiautomatic AK-47.
That’s right, for one low rate of $25 you can win an army-killing machine known as an AK-47.

I mean, what a great idea. It’s not like we don’t have enough guns on the streets – let alone dangerous guns on the streets. Give them more! In fact, give them one of the most dangerous guns out there, show them how to shoot it, and have a great day!
According to Associated Content, 2005 saw 16,692 people murdered in America. That’s not enough – murder more!

You want to talk about an abuse of an amendment? Say what you will, but having hopeful government officials and former army veterans showing people how to shoot and giving them bullets isn’t what the founding fathers thought of when they came up with the Second Amendment.

It’s like a police officer having a bar running out of the trunk of his car and giving people their keys to go home. Or it’s like a priest having naked girls outside the confessional grabbing guys on the crotch as they wait for confessionals.

Basically, I am saying that the government or people that hope to be in government shouldn’t encourage such things! Not a good idea, Dean Allen.