sports women's soccer

No. 22 IU plays Michigan to a tie in 0-0 game

The No. 22 Hoosier women’s soccer team was limited to a 0-0 tie against Michigan on Sunday.

After 120 minutes of play that included two overtimes, IU was unable to find a way to score against a Michigan defense that frequently dropped back nine players. The tie pushed its record to 9-3-2 for the season and 1-2-2 in the Big Ten.

“It was disappointing,” IU coach Mick Lyon said. “Because of the way they play, it was very tough to score. Our game plan was to create width, and it was like threading a needle trying to get the ball through.”

Despite only having two shots in the first half, Michigan had a golden opportunity to score off a header on a corner kick. The ball hit the post before being cleared out by the Hoosier defense.

The Wolverines’ offensive chances were sparse, but they kept IU’s defense on its toes.

“After a free kick, Lindsay (Campbell) saved one and it got deflected back into the box,” junior forward Leigh Anne Cummings said. “That was a big play because they almost scored off the rebound.”

IU dominated time of possession in the game, which was a result of Michigan’s defensive strategy.

In the second half, sophomore forward Carly Samp had three shots on goal, one of which was shot right at Michigan goalkeeper Haley Kopmeyer.

Sophomore goalkeeper Lindsay Campbell played the entire game and made three saves to keep the game scoreless.

Leading the way for the Hoosiers offensively was freshman forward Orianica Velasquez Herrera. She led the Hoosiers in shots and shots on goal with five and three, respectively.

“We should have won, and we got a tie,” Lyon said. “It’s a disappointment in the result, but I’m not disappointed in the effort, discipline and the way we dominated the game. But you have to score to win.”