sports volleyball

IU falls to Minnesota, 3-0

Following its five-set victory at Purdue, the IU volleyball team got another taste of how difficult the Big Ten can be Sunday.

The Hoosiers (13-5, 2-2) fell to the Golden Gophers (13-3, 4-0) in straight sets by scores of 25-20, 25-19 and 26-24.

“I don’t think we played bad volleyball today,” IU coach Sherry Dunbar said. “I just think when you play a team like that, you have to play great volleyball.”

Minnesota received an early boost from junior middle blocker Lauren Gibbemeyer, who posted three kills to guide the Gophers to a 13-7 start and forced an IU timeout. Gibbemeyer recorded seven total kills in the first frame.

Gibbemeyer shifted between middle and outside frequently, something she said her team planned to do against IU.

“It was really important for us to attack at the pins because Indiana’s a really good ... blocking team,” Gibbemeyer said.

The Hoosiers pulled within three on freshman setter Whitney Granado’s serve, and sophomore setter Mary Chaudoin posted two key blocks to keep IU close.

However, the Gophers maintained the advantage and won the set 25-20 on an IU service error.

Minnesota continued its strong hitting and net play in the second set.

Much of the Hoosiers’ offense came from outside hitters, freshman Jordan Haverly and senior Kelsey Hall, who posted six and four kills, respectively.

Sophomore libero Caitlin Cox added a service ace, but the Gophers took to win the set, 25-19.

IU emerged strong in the third set with freshman right-side hitter Kelci Marschall posting three consecutive kills to begin the frame.

The set remained close and needed extra points. A block by Chaudoin and junior middle blocker Ashley Benson propelled the Hoosiers to within one while Minnesota had match point.

Hall killed one to tie the set at 24-24 before Minnesota won the next two points to put away the match.

“They have a lot of balance and play with a lot of fire,” Dunbar said. “We want to beat Minnesota someday.”