world

France cracks down on eBay’s faux bags

France

PARIS, France – When it comes to the much sought-after Parisian style, it’s all in the bag – and the shoes and the accessories.

It is clear that the secret to having that uniquely chic Parisian look, that certain je ne sais pas quoi, is all about the details. 

Since spending time in France, I have observed the French style of dressing, in all its splendor, and I have come to the conclusion that what sets Parisians apart from Americans and all the rest is the accessories. 

In Paris, you cannot go a block without seeing at least one French woman who appears to have strutted straight out of the pages of French Vogue and onto the Boulevard Saint Germain.

But I am dismayed to tell you that amid my enamoring the many uber-chic pedestrians, I occasionally see women with the tackiest accessory of all: faux designer bags. 

In a city which has profited greatly from its presence in the fashion industry, it is disheartening to see so many people proudly toting a mockery of the original designer’s creation.

The problem of counterfeit designer handbags and apparel is nothing new, but it has been in the spotlight lately due to the ruling in a significant suit against eBay filed by one of France’s leading luxury goods conglomerates – LVMH, also known as Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton.

The European Union ruled on Sept. 21 that eBay would pay 80,000 euros (equal to about $117,800) in damages to LVMH.

This dispute was a result of eBay allowing brands under the conglomerate’s ownership, such as Dior and Louis Vuitton, to be keyword searches on the online
auction’s Web site without the permission of LVMH. 

The reason this is such an important and costly issue is because counterfeit designer merchandise has been prominent on eBay. Moreover, the sale of “fakes” tarnish the brand’s reputation and take away from legitimate brand sales.

For the French, this is especially important because fashion is such an important industry to the French economy. Counterfeit merchandise takes away from jobs in France, as well as a great deal of tax revenue.

Another serious issue with the sale of designer fakes is that much of the black market sales go toward financing illegal activities, such as the drug trade and even terrorism.

Furthermore, fakes are very often made by children in inhumane factory conditions. 

Counterfeit designer merchandise may not seem like a big deal, but it is. Many people are harmed in the process – the French economy takes a hit, designers lose sales and their creative designs are exploited, children are misused in the production process and the lucrative profits very often go toward funding lucrative activities. 

My point, my dear Hoosiers, is this: Though it may seem like a harmless idea, getting the Parisian style for less by purchasing faux designer bags actually harms a great number of people.

And as eBay is learning firsthand – counterfeits cost more than they are worth.