‘Extreme Makeover’ comes to Indiana

ABC’s Emmy Award-winning reality show “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” has chosen Indiana as the destination for its next home makeover.

The show is currently in the process of choosing among five deserving Indiana families.
On Wednesday, Ty Pennington and the rest of the show’s crew will greet one deserving family with news that they will be receiving a new house.

Anderson, Ind.,-based company Hallmark Homes will be building the house.

“A little over two weeks ago, we got an e-mail from the senior producer of the show,” CEO of Hallmark Homes Derek Wilder said.

He said at first they thought it was joke, but after a few e-mails, the producers flew out and met with Hallmark Homes. Wilder said he and the rest of the company are excited about the opportunity to help out the community.

“We won’t be sleeping a lot,” he said. “Our plan is to have a lot of caffeine on hand, but we look forward to the challenge.”

Ball State University, Blakely’s Flooring, Bilt Best Windows, Climate Master, JN Stone, Madison Millwork, Modern Trailer Sales and Schneider Electric are all partners in contributing to the project, according to a press release.

Local universities are getting involved as well.

“Anderson University is helping in a variety of ways,” director of Anderson University Communications Chris Williams said.

He said Wilder, an alumnus of Anderson University, contacted the school to make the university aware and discover the ways that the university would want to support this community endeavor.

The actual build will take place between Oct. 21, when the family hears the good news at the “Door Knock,” and Oct. 27, when they “Move that Bus!” and the house is revealed.

“We are excited to support this very quick project of only 106 hours,” Williams said.