world

Berlusconi promises stocked homes to disaster victims

MILAN - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi spent his 73rd birthday, Sept. 29, giving gifts to the people of Abruzzo, where thousands were affected by April’s earthquake in the region.  

At 3:30 a.m. April 6, a 6.3-magnitude earthquake caused historical buildings from the L’Aquila area to come tumbling down. Serious damage was done to the surrounding mountainous region, with effects felt in Rome, more than 70 miles away.

By April 9, there were 300 dead, 1,500 injured and more than 50,000 left without homes.

Controversy surrounded Berlusconi’s response to the victims after he interviewed with a German television station.

He told the reporter for the N-TV channel that the homeless quake victims “lacked nothing.”

“They have medicines,” he said. “They have hot food. They have shelter for the night. Of course, their current lodgings are a bit temporary. But they should see it like a weekend of camping.”

Six months later, in little more than a weekend, Berlusconi has given full accommodations to everyone hit by the earthquake.

Keys were handed to disaster victims for their fully stocked homes. Reports say the houses they were given are ready to live in.

They are equipped with furniture, flat-screen televisions and even toothpaste and bottles of olive oil.  

There are still about 11,000 survivors living in tents and about 25,000 more in hotels.
The government aims to give 15,000 new homes before the end of the year, including 2,500 by the end of September.

This event came just before another Italian city was hit with disaster.

On Saturday, Sicily was hit with massive mudslides that killed at least 22 people and left more than 500 homeless.

Berlusconi then promised Sunday to build new homes for these victims after visiting the devastated area as victims wait in hotels and tents just as the quake victims did.

He said the government would build new houses. They would be stocked just like the others, including sheets and groceries.

Although Berlusconi’s response to the disasters has been quick and efficient, constant controversy around his government power remains a black cloud over his head.

The left and right wings in Italy continue to battle about the amount of power Berlusconi should be given and what he should do with that power.

When asking Italians from the opposing parties, communists and socialists, how they feel about his response to the earthquake, they answer with an overwhelming list of other circumstances they feel he has failed to respond to correctly.

They never once mention or return to the question of the earthquake.

Meanwhile, in Berlusconi’s party, there seems to be nothing but praise for his quick action.