Van Jones resignation justified

Columnist Matt Straw recently wrote an article in support of former Green Jobs “czar” Van Jones. Straw mentioned that the main reason why some in the media pressured Van Jones to resign: He called Republicans “assholes.”
But that was only one of many controversial comments Van Jones has made. He once said companies intentionally divert toxic waste into minority neighborhoods’ water supplies, with no proof. He also made a speech about giving wealth back to Native Americans.
The petition he signed about the Sept. 11 attacks was for the 9/11 Truth organization that claims President Bush intentionally caused 9/11 to start the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, again with no proof. All of these actions showed that Van Jones was a far-left activist. While this country is based on free speech and he can say whatever he wants, the American people don’t want that kind of person being in charge of creating green jobs.
The question that should be asked is why Obama appointed this far-left radical to an important government position.
When people voted for Obama, they voted for someone who is level-headed, works on both sides of the aisle, and associates himself with like people. Van Jones has shown in his own words he is a far-left radical who is out of touch with average Americans.
That is why he was pressured to resign.

Jordan Wood
IU junior

More

LETTER: New arts leader named

I have always had a special affinity for art in places where art “isn’t supposed to be.” Certainly, most of us enjoy an afternoon browsing a gallery or museum, but there is something really nice about finding art in unexpected places.

LETTER: Disability harassment happens on our campus

I would like to bring to the attention of the IDS the fact that harassment of disabled students occurs regularly at IU Bloomington. I personally know of physically impaired students who have been harassed in Ballantine Hall for taking the elevator up or down one floor.  And they aren’t just harassed by fellow students; faculty and staff are guilty, too.  Just because someone looks healthy, doesn’t mean that they are.  Invisible disabilities are any of a number of chronic conditions that significantly impair normal activities of daily living while showing no outward signs of the illness. I also know of a physically impaired student who was made fun of recently for riding a scooter in Forest Residence Center.  This is a student who can barely walk—and only for short distances—and only when feeling physically up to it. This same student was also harassed in the Forest parking lot by someone who didn’t think a handicap parking space should be used by a disabled student, even though the appropriate IU parking permit was displayed in the car.  Harassment may be reported to the IU Incident Teams at  (812) 855-8188 or incident@indiana.edu. I mention these incidents because they happened to students I know.  And if they can happen to them, they can happen to anyone.  I ask the entire campus community: How would you feel if someone you cared about was ridiculed or harassed because they had a disability?  How does it feel to learn that members of the campus community, whether you know them or not, have to deal with harassment at IU Bloomington on a daily basis? I urge us all to think before speaking, show some Hoosier compassion, and offer to help instead of contributing to an intolerant environment.  I also urge the IDS to investigate and report on the harassment of disabled students on this campus. As an IU alumna, IU employee, and IU parent, I hate to think of Indiana University’s reputation being tarnished by charges of harassment of any kind. Melissa Thorne Bloomington