The best and worst of the new televison season

THE BEST

1. “FlashForward,” 8 p.m. Thursdays on ABC – Comparisons to “Lost” are premature, but this dense and complicated drama about everyone in the world blacking out for 2 minutes and 17 seconds has most critics buzzing.   

2. “Community,” 9:30 p.m. (and later 8 p.m.) Thursdays on NBC – After hit and miss “Parks and Recreation,” “Community” should be a good companion for  “The Office” and “30 Rock.”

3. “Modern Family,” 9 p.m. Wednesdays on ABC – Though it looks to be a classic sitcom, “Family” features Ed O’Neill leading an excellent cast. The show could finally give ABC a great comedy to work with.

4. “Glee,” 9 p.m. Wednesdays on FOX – The music, the teenage angst, the surprising humor – anyone who watched the “Glee” pilot early last May knows this is going to be awesome.

5. “Bored to Death,” 9 p.m. Sundays on HBO – Jason Schwartzman, Ted Danson and Zach Galifianakis star in a detective story/film noir-like dry comedy. Any questions?

THE WORST

1.  “Accidently On Purpose,” 8:30 p.m. Mondays on CBS – It’s like “Knocked Up” but watered-down and for unfunny older people.

2. “Brothers,”8:30 p.m. Fridays on FOX – Who thought it was a good idea to give former NFL-er Michael Strahan his own sitcom?

3. “Mercy,” 8 p.m. Wednesdays on NBC – Hey, another medical drama! But this one’s from the point of view of the nurses, so it’s completely different, right?

4. “Hank,” 8 p.m. Wednesdays on ABC – Kelsey Grammer needs to go away. Anytime now.

5. “Melrose Place,” 9 p.m. Tuesdays on the CW – Another remake nobody wanted, starring Ashlee Simpson-Wentz. Seriously.