Kelley School of Business: No. 1 in delusion

It was nice to be reminded of how important Kelley students are while watching one of the wealthiest and most influential Americans on Friday.
I’m sure T. Boone Pickens understood that 50 percent of his audience was leaving before the presentation was finished because we had to run home and nurse our hangovers from playing as hard as we work. Students were sleeping, playing BrickBreaker on their BlackBerries (which we need because we are important), and diving into Tucker Max’s epic “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.”
Also, I didn’t think it was ridiculous when I heard a girl ask a recruiter at the consulting career fair what consultants “even do?” How could she have done any research on consulting? She was way too busy complaining to her College-of-Arts-and-Sciences friends how hard I-Core is!
I wish there was no one to blame for our arrogance and ridiculousness, but the Kelley faculty only reinforces our bloated sense of self. All I hear from professors is how Kelley students are the top business students in the country, and we just eat it up.
I’m not saying Kelley isn’t a good school, but the widespread sense of entitlement and lack of couth hurts our reputation with recruiters and makes us look like brats.
I’ve never been more embarrassed to be a business student than on Friday. If you think you are too important to listen to one of America’s most influential leaders speak about one of today’s most important issues, stay home.
Leave Kelley’s reputation in the hands of those who have tact. It’s a shame that most Kelley students won’t see this because they will be pretending to read the Wall Street Journal.

Rob Conners
IU junior and Kelley School of Business student

More

LETTER: New arts leader named

I have always had a special affinity for art in places where art “isn’t supposed to be.” Certainly, most of us enjoy an afternoon browsing a gallery or museum, but there is something really nice about finding art in unexpected places.