sports men's soccer

IU opens 100th Big Ten game in Madison

soccer

Since soccer’s inception within the Big Ten in 1991, IU has ranked toward the top of the conference.

In Friday’s milestone matchup, the Hoosiers will look to prolong that position.
Indiana will take the pitch Friday at Madison, Wis. for the Hoosiers’ 100th Big Ten game.

More than a year ago, IU walked off the field in Bloomington after beating Wisconsin 3-2 in overtime of its Big Ten season opener.

The Hoosiers and Badgers kick off their Big Ten season again this year. But senior defender Ofori Sarkodie and his teammates are prepared for the Badgers’ aggressive style of play.

“I honestly expect Wisconsin to come out very physical, with a lot of energy,”
Sarkodie said. “They have a couple seniors on the team. ... They’re going to be very familiar with our style of play. We’re going to obviously expect the physicality and expect them to be organized and very prepared for this game.”

Heading to Madison with a 3-2-1 record, the Hoosiers are undefeated in conference road openers. The Cream and Crimson have not lost to Wisconsin since 1995.

“When we have other fans heckling us, it just gets us hyped up for the game,” junior midfielder Rich Balchan said. “It’s just a game, another game.”

In a way, though, this game is different.

On Friday, the Hoosiers will face the son of the legendary coach who founded IU soccer.

Todd Yeagley, who played and coached for the Hoosiers during two national championships, is the current coach at Wisconsin.

“IU will always have a special place in my heart,” Yeagley said. “But, I have a love where I am right now. I have to pull away the emotional elements of this game and know I have to prepare a team for one of the best and most talented teams we’ll face all year.”

Coming off a 1-1 weekend in which the Hoosiers lost to former assistant and current Akron coach Caleb Porter is in the back of the Hoosiers’ minds.

“Everyone wants to be a little sharper and have more confidence with the ball,” Balchan said. “We turned the ball over way too many times, and that’s why they had the ball 75 percent of the time. ... I think we improved on Sunday against Florida International. And hopefully we’ll be able to keep that going this weekend.”

With Wisconsin next in line, Sarkodie said Yeagley is an exceptional coach.

“This program owes a huge amount of thanks to him and his family for what they’ve done,” Sarkodie said. “I know all the guys have an immense amount of respect for him.”

As for Yeagley’s team, Sarkodie and his teammates are prepared for an intense matchup.

“We know the type of players and the type of play that they’re going to bring,” Sarkodie said. “We’re going to have to have their intensity. We’re going to have to match their organization. And honestly we have to come out just as physical, just as hard, just as focused if we’re going to get a good result.”

As for Wisconsin, Yeagley said he is looking for the best from his players.

“Indiana has a lot of ways that they can unbalance you,” Yeagley said. “We have to take away some of the things that Indiana likes to do. At the same time, have the confidence when it’s time to attack that we get numbers forward and put Indiana under pressure and test them as well.”