Greeks at IU work to build Habitat for Humanity house

Habitat For Humanity

While some of the student population spent Saturday tailgating, about 15 members from four of IU’s greek organizations collaborated for Alpha Depot, an event to build a house for Habitat for Humanity.

At 8 a.m. Saturday, only the foundation of the house was complete, but by 3 p.m. all the walls were up.

It took a while for everybody to get used to the tools and each other, said Tom Boudrean, construction manager for Habitat of Humanity of Monroe County.

The project brought together four organizations – all with the name Alpha – that normally would not work together.

“I think people don’t see it as a viable option,” said senior Charlene Nortey, recording secretary for Alpha Kappa Alpha. “We usually work with other organizations in our council ... It’s easier to stick within your comfort zone rather than branch out, especially when you don’t know what the response will be.”

But the reaction from Saturday’s event was positive, according to those involved ­– Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Kappa Alpha.

By working as a team, the three sororities and one fraternity created a stronger greek community, said junior Michael Coleman, Alpha Phi Alpha’s recording secretary.

“I think it does strengthen the greek community because we are building bridges with organizations we normally haven’t worked with,” Coleman said.

APA and AKA are part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, the organization for historically black sororities and fraternities, while Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Gamma Delta are under the Panhellenic Association, which consists of historically white chapters.

Since the fraternities and sororities are affiliated with two different organizations,working together hasn’t been that common.

The event was part of IU’s APA chapter’s 62nd anniversary week of events.

It gave members of AOPi an opportunity to use power tools for the first time.

“It’s been very fun,” said junior Kacey Bourdage, new member educator for Alpha Omicron Pi. “The day has flown by.”

For those working onsite with the students, it showed them a different side.

“It honestly shows that they could do more than party, and they actually do care about the community and other people,” Bloomington resident Linda Lentz said.

Lentz is working to receive a house from Habitat for Humanity. As a partner family, she must put in 250 “sweat equity hours,” which count as her down payment.

Lentz most likely won’t be able to move into her home until next July, but she hopes these organizations and other groups build more houses to make the process of moving go by more quickly.

The members of the greek organizations said they were glad they could be known for volunteering and philanthropy.

“Everybody knows us for stepping,” said senior Fabiene Boone, vice president for Alpha Phi Alpha. “But now they can see we can do more than just step.”

The unique partnership gave the groups an opportunity to see that their goals aren’t too different.

“It shows that members from all different greek organizations go greek for good reasons,” said sophomore Jenn Horwitz, Alpha Gamma Delta member.

“It’s fun that we are affecting people we don’t even know,” she said. “It’s gratifying.”