Colts' dynasty hopes could hinge on this season

Just three years ago, the Indianapolis Colts were looking to build on the winningest season in franchise history, while also looking to bounce back from one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history.

The 2005 Colts, heavily regarded as a better team than the eventual 2006 Super Bowl Champion Indianapolis team, won its first 13 games and finished the year 14-2.

With home field advantage throughout the playoffs and the league’s most potent offense that included to-be Hall of Famers Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne, the Colts were an easy favorite for the Super Bowl.

And then there was the Cinderella Pittsburgh Steelers, who won three consecutive road games in January before completing their magical run in Jerome Bettis’ hometown of Detroit in the 2005 Super Bowl.

Pittsburgh defeated the Colts 21-18 at the RCA Dome in the divisional round of the AFC Playoffs thanks to the larger-than-life play of second-year quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, making a game-saving tackle with 21 seconds to go.

One could also possibly thank Nick Harper’s knife-happy wife.

The echoes that Manning could never win the big game began to ring again.

The jeers that the Colts’ play was too finesse returned to Indianapolis media.

And still, with just one Super Bowl ring in the six-year span of at least 12 victories, the Colts have yet to earn the label of a dynasty.

Even after the departures of wideout Marvin Harrison, defensive tackle Montae Reagor and cornerback Jason David, the Colts still have a shot at ranking among pro football’s greatest of all time.

While the hope remains, the clock is ticking. It’s ticking on Manning’s ability to play at the level for which he is so known, the already questionable durability of former NFL Defensive Player of the Year Bob Sanders and up-and-coming teams around the AFC South.

First-year coach Jim Caldwell, who replaced Tony Dungy, one of the most honorable and respected coaches in history, has the potency on offense to lead the Colts back to South Beach.

But if the run defense continues to falter in the playoffs, if Sanders is only able to go 10 games a year and if the Colts’ special teams play (particularly kick coverage) doesn’t improve, then Indianapolis does not go down with the 49ers of the 1980s, the Cowboys of the 1990s or the Patriots of the 2000s.

Despite the absence of retired offensive lineman and Pro Bowler Tarik Glenn and shipping guard Jake Scott to Tennessee, there’s still talent on a young Colts offensive line, to which a friend of mine referred as having only Canadian Football League quality players.

Plus, with Manning under center, it’s not like nine seconds of protection are needed.

As rookie running back Donald Brown gains experience, it’s likely the Colts will be able to go two deep at running back to keep fresh legs active in an offense that relies heavily on backfield pass protection.

The offensive firepower can only take Indianapolis so far if the defense doesn’t begin to put on a 2006 playoff-esque performance. There’s no question the face and reputation of the defense changes when Sanders can go.

His ability to play run in the box and the acrobatic pass coverage he brings make the Pro Bowler an invaluable strong safety.

One game down and 15 to play.

One game at a time.

The situation is no stranger to a team who has seen multiple shots at multiple Super Bowls dwindle during the years.