Bloomington celebrates weekly event

Afternoon showcases 50 local restaurants, highlights opening of Hartzell’s

The aroma of Bloomington’s independently owned restaurants and fresh kettle corn filled the air for the Be Downtown Bloomington Campaign and the Tuesday Lunch Concert Series in People’s Park.

Bloomington Parks and Recreation, the Office of the Mayor and Downtown Bloomington Inc. put on the weekly event.

The afternoon lunch showcases 50 of Bloomington’s favorite restaurants and introduced the newest addition to Kirkwood. Hartzell’s Homemade Ice Cream on Dunn Street opened Tuesday by the owners of Jiffy Treet.

Talisha Coppock, executive director of Downtown Bloomington Inc., said the concert series runs from May through September and is a festive way to bring the Bloomington community together with local restaurants.

“It’s a way to celebrate local businesses and the unique atmosphere that Kirkwood has to offer,” Coppock said.

Becky Barrick, president of Downtown Bloomington Inc., said she was pleased with the growing popularity of the event.

“It’s a great way to promote downtown,” Barrick said. “It gets people out and enjoying downtown while kicking off the autumn season.”

Attendees received free mini pumpkins, sweet kettle corn and crisp apple cider while listening to live bands perform.

IU parent Chris Voster said the Tuesday festivities bring a fun flavor to People’s Park every week.

“It’s a pretty neat little festival, and it’s a pleasant surprise how many people it draws in,” Voster said. “People stop by asking what we are all doing here and end up staying and coming back every week. It really is a fun time.”

Bloomington Parks and Recreation partners with local organizations for community events throughout the year such as Canopy of Lights, which is the day after Thanksgiving in downtown Bloomington, and will be partnering with Monroe County Public Library and Bloomington Storytellers Guild on Oct. 23 and 24 for the Festival of the Falls.

The festival will feature three bands, 20 booths showcasing seasonal arts and crafts, hay rides and beer gardens sponsored by Upland Brewing Company.