sports field hockey

2009 marks team’s 9th season of play

Cross Country

Before IU field hockey became a varsity sport in 2000, it was a club sport for students to join.

Field hockey is the second-newest sport to IU’s varsity sports, behind rowing.
IU coach Amy Robertson took over the team in 2000. Her previous job was as assistant coach at Wake Forest from 1997 to 1999.

The team’s inaugural season got off to a rough start.

IU finished the season at 1-12 with a 0-6 Big Ten conference record. The next season, the Hoosiers finished again with one win and failed to gain a Big Ten victory.

IU improved its record to 6-13 with the help of former midfielder Kayla Bashore, who received All-Big Ten honors in three out of her four years with the Hoosiers.
In 2003, Robertson won Big Ten Coach of the Year for the major improvements she made in three short years. 

The young program began to make good on its potential.

The next year IU improved even more with a 12-8 record on the season. That peaked in 2005, as the Hoosiers finished 17-5 with their best record to date and finished second in the Big Ten.

In Bashore’s senior year, she won Big Ten Player of the Year, which proved to be her highest achievement as a Hoosier.

Since senior midfielder Meg O’Connell’s freshman year, the program has gone in a positive direction.

“Since 2005, our team has become more disciplined, and the competitiveness has increased since then,” O’Connell said.

The Hoosiers went 14-5 in 2006, after losing some quality seniors, which included Bashore.

IU went downhill during the next two seasons, and its record showed it.

IU only managed to go 15-21 in the past two years.

Some positives came for IU in 2007. The Hoosiers moved out of Mellencamp Pavillion and into the new IU Field Hockey Field that opened in the summer of that year. The Hoosiers also posted a 3.51 team GPA, which was tied for second-best in college field hockey.

Since 2001, at least eight players have made the Academic All-Big Ten every year.
Senior midfielder Elizabeth Schmidt said the program has personality.

“This program is built upon a foundation of beginners,” Schmidt said, “and we are noted for our hard work and determination.” 

The No. 17 Hoosiers are 5-2 this season with upset wins against then-No. 14 American, and No. 13 Louisville.

“We’ve got so much depth, its not like it drops off after your starters,” Robertson said. “It’s competitive for every spot.”

A new field hockey building opened on Sept. 19, which holds the Hoosiers locker room, equipment storage room and team meeting room.

There are 10 games left in the season until IU plays the Big Ten championships. Six of IU’s last 10 games are against Big Ten opponents.

IU opens up Big Ten Conference play Sunday with Ohio State at 1 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio.

“I’m excited for the Big Ten games ‘cause every game is a battle,” O’Connell said.