Students find a new home in cultural centers

Freshman Shaily Hakimian came across IU when she was flipping through a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transexual college guide.

“IU is top-20 and is closest to my home,” she said. “I’m excited about meeting older people because they established themselves and they are out and open in college.”

Hakimian was one of the students that attended the GLBT Student Support Services center open house on Friday.

All of the cultural centers on campus, including the Latino Cultural Center/La Casa and the Asian Culture Center, had open houses filled with food and a chance for students to interact with each other on Friday.

She said she wants to reach out to groups to increase acceptance on campus.

At a school of more than 40,000, many students end up feeling lost at IU, but students can find a smaller community within the University’s cultural centers.

La Casa was opened in 1973 to try to provide a space for Latino students to feel comfortable on campus.

Another purpose of La Casa is to educate the general IU community about who Latinos are and what they are all about beyond the superficial, graduate assistant Juan Berumen said.

“After being here for four years, I’ve seen that Indiana residents get most exposures to Latinos through television, film or mass media, and it’s not always in the most positive light, often with xenophobic tones,” Berumen said. “Culture centers counter, or better yet, correct those misconceptions.”

After four years at IU, students should graduate well-rounded and culturally competent, Asian Culter Center director Melanie Castillo-Cullather said.

“Where I come from, Columbus, Ind., there are not a lot of Asians,” freshman Stefan Khensouri said. “I didn’t feel most comfortable and relatable there. ... I hope to meet Asian friends here. It’s my goal.”

The culture centers allow students to learn about those who are different from them.

“We remind people that there is not just one way to be human,” said Doug Bauder, coordinator of GLBT Student Support Services.

GLBT Student Support Services is not a culture center; it’s an office. The administration under the dean of students thought this was a population on campus that needed support, Bauder said.

Their staff includes a counseling intern from the School of Education and a social work intern.

One of the biggest misconceptions of the GLBT Student Support Services center is that all students who walk through its doors are gay, Bauder said.

“A lot of students that come in here are not gay, but may have gay friends or are interested in GLBT issues,” Bauder said.

The culture centers at IU form a cohesive and rich community.

“Cultures are different, cultures vary, and each brings a richness to the whole,” Bauder said.

Want to get involved with any of the culture centers? Here is some information on centers around campus.

Asian Culture Center
WHEN 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday
WHERE 807 E. Tenth St.
MORE INFO The ACC offers students with a lounge, audio/visual room, computer lab and rooms available for reservations.

First Nations Educational Cultural Center
WHERE Ashton Weatherly Hall 203, 400 N. Sunrise Dr.
MORE INFO For more information about events, call 812-855-4814.

GLBT Student Support Services
WHEN 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
WHERE 705 E. Seventh St.
MORE INFO The center includes a library and counseling services.

Helene G. Simon Hillel Center
WHEN 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 9 a.m. to Shabbat Friday; Noon to 8 p.m. Sunday
WHRE 730 E. Third St.
MORE INFO The center offers programming and Shabbat services and dinner every Friday.

La Casa/Latino Cultural Center
WHEN 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday
WHERE 715 E. Seventh St.
MORE INFO The center includes computer facilities, a library and recreation rooms where students can gather for meetings and events.

Leo R. Dowling International Center
WHEN 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
WHERE 111 S. Jordan Ave.
MORE INFO The center has programs including cultural coffee hours, conversation clubs and an international spouses circle.

Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center
WHERE 275 N. Jordan Ave.
MORE INFO The center includes a library and rooms for reservations for events and programs.