Diet shot could end weight loss struggle

IU scientists might be on their way to simplifying weight loss through a diet shot.

IU chemistry department researchers found success in rodent trials but said human testing might be 10 years from now.

The drug will mimic the results of gastric bypass, a surgical weight loss procedure, and patients could see a 25 percent weight loss in one week. Researchers said the drug would decrease appetite and boost metabolism with two Food and Drug Administration-approved drugs for rapid weight loss.

Richard DiMarchi, chairman of the chemistry department and the study’s lead researcher, said the drug could help reduce the world’s obesity numbers.

“There’s a global epidemic of obesity,” DiMarchi said. “Our focus is finding therapies to lower body weight and treat diabetes.”

Junior Carys Tanner said she doesn’t think the diet shot should be a first choice in weight loss.

“It seems unhealthy to lose that much weight in one week,” she said. “If it’s approved, I don’t think it should be everyone’s first option in weight loss.”

Brad Woodward, an IU School of Medicine alumnus and Eli Lilly medical researcher, said he’s neutral on the diet shot.

“Scientists have made great strides in their research,” Woodward said. “I look forward to seeing what’s next.”