West Lafayette statues taken inside after vandalism, theft

LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) — Some of the life-size dog statues set up in and around the Purdue University campus are being taken inside because of theft and vandalism.

Organizers of the “Dog Days of Summer” project are dismayed that the painted statues weren’t safe in outdoor locations.

“I’m disheartened by the lack of respect for creativity,” said Joanne Kuhn Titolo, who had two pieces in the outdoor exhibit. “Because of the increased thefts, our artwork isn’t safe. This is horrifying.”

A total of 41 dog statues were installed in Lafayette, West Lafayette and on Purdue University’s campus.

Seven have been stolen or significantly damaged, with most of the problems coming at Purdue or in West Lafayette near the Wabash River.

As of Friday, organizers had moved 18 of the dogs to the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette until suitable indoor homes can be found for the work. One of those stored temporarily at the museum is “St. Joan of Bark,” a dog painted in a fleur-de-lis motif.

Some dogs in Lafayette side will remain in their original spots.

The “Dog Days” event celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Purdue Veterinary Medicine Department and the 100th anniversary of the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette.

Organizers had printed maps so that people could take walking tours to see all the artwork. Kevin Doerr, a member of the organizing committee, said he hopes the dogs can be placed near their original spots so the maps can still be used.

But the dogs will be indoors, where they can be monitored.