Castroneves wins 3rd Indianapolis 500

Helio Castroneves holds three fingers in the air following his third Indianapolis 500 win Sunday afternoon at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

INDIANAPOLIS – Helio Castroneves was facing jail time five weeks ago, but on Sunday, he was face to face with a jug of milk.  

Castroneves won the 93rd Indianapolis 500, becoming the first foreign-born driver to win three titles.  

Seconds after taking a gulp of milk, Castroneves broke down in tears in Victory Lane.  

“I think my tears speak for everything,” said Castroneves, who was acquitted on a multiple tax evasion charges in April.  

The pole-sitter led the last 58 laps and cruised away from second-place finisher Dan Wheldon after a late caution to win the race, run 100 years after the founding of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 1909.

“As soon as I got to the lead, boom,” Castroneves said.  

Once the green flag waved at the start of Lap 182, Wheldon and Danica Patrick fought for the No. 2 spot as the Brazilian drove away.  

“I just didn’t have enough for Helio at the end … There’s nothing more we could have done,” Wheldon said, adding that even under ideal conditions he would not have been able to reel in Castroneves.  

The No. 3 Penske car finished nearly two seconds faster than Wheldon. Patrick finished third, her best finish in the Indy 500.  

“I was just running flat out all the way around,” Patrick said, “which I’m happy with because it didn’t happen too much in practice.”

The race featured eight cautions, including one that started on the first lap when 20-year-old Mario Moraes ran into 22-year-old Marco Andretti between Turn 1 and Turn 2.  

Despite the family’s strong IndyCar tradition, it has been 40 years since an Andretti has crossed the finish line first at the Brickyard.  

Last year’s runner up Vitor Meira fractured two vertebrae in his lower back after a frightening collision with rookie driver Raphael Matos on Lap 174 – leading to the final caution of the day.  

Wheldon and Patrick could only praise Castroneves for his win.  

“The guy’s won his third Indy 500, which is no mean feat,” said Wheldon, who won the race in 2005.

For Castroneves, the win was cathartic.  

Seconds after crossing over the bricks to win, Castroneves emoted over his team’s radio “Thank you. Thank you, God. Thank you.”

“That was a very special moment, the celebrating lap,” Castroneves said.

Once he stopped on the frontstretch, he quickly moved past a couple security officials to climb the security fence, his patented celebration.  

And then there was the moment in Victory Lane.  

“Inside, he’s tough as nails,” said team owner Roger Penske. “And he had to be to go through what he went through.”

A couple months ago it was uncertain whether Castroneves could race at all.

Castroneves faced six counts relating to tax evasion, stemming from his contract with Penske Racing and a sponsorship deal with a Brazilian company.  

Castroneves faced more than six years in prison, but after Sunday’s win Penske said he was confident his driver would be exonerated.

“We never ever were going to leave his side,” Penske said. “I think it’s worked out.”
In Victory Lane, Castroneves thanked Penske for “giving (him his) life back.”

“This is the best month of May ever,” Castroneves said. “Wow. Three, I can’t believe it.”