Bloomington SportsPlex undergoes new ownership

The Bloomington SportsPlex is currently undergoing an ownership change. The complex has shifted ownership to the city of Bloomington and is expected to undergo a name change.

The Bloomington SportsPlex will shift from private ownership to Bloomington city ownership.

The city’s communications director, Danny Lopez, said the private owner was looking to sell and approached the city of Bloomington about a year and a half ago.

A $6.5 million revenue bond was drafted to help fund the sale of the SportsPlex in addition to a number of renovations within the building itself, Lopez said. The building was purchased for $5.5 million.

Bloomington Parks Department Director Mick Renneisen, who is in charge of negotiating the entire operation, said renovations will include restroom remodeling and air conditioning updates, repainting and technological improvements, like a new computer lab where office space has been previously. The synthetic soccer surface will be replaced.

The renovations are expected to cost about $300,000, Renneisen said, but there are no planned changes to the architectural structure of SportsPlex.

“Funding through revenue bonds, which relies on the income of SportsPlex, is possible, thanks to approval from the mayor and the public, as seen through conducted surveys,” Renneisen said. “The revenue bond helps support managing and operations.”

He said SportsPlex, in addition to being branded under the Parks Department umbrella, will undergo a name change, though one has yet to be determined.

For those concerned with user fees, Lopez said there is no need to worry.

“As of now, user monthly and day pass fees are not expected to go up as a result of all the changes,” he said. “In fact, we’re looking for ways to effectively reduce fees existing as is for people.”

Renneisen said the improved SportsPlex building – complete with a name change, new logos and branding – is scheduled to be unveiled in August with a ceremony.

“The SportsPlex has been a valuable athletic center for 10 years in the community, as well as an anchor in youth sports,” he said. “We just want to enhance what is already there and improve customer needs the building has already been fulfilling for so long.”