Speakers discuss job-searching with business students

Freshmen Caitlin Williams, Tess Bedel, and Lindsay Edwards look through pamphlets that were give out by various companies at an event sponsored by the Undergraduate Black MBA Association Tuesday evening at the Kelley School of Business. The corporate networking fair brought together campus represenatives from companies such as General Mills, Target, and Ernst & Young.

As the economy declines, students face constant pressure to conform to the times while maintaining hope.

Junior Jamila Coleman believes everybody “is equally as important and has a chance for hope.” Coleman is the president of the Undergraduate Black MBA Association, an organization seeking to provide a support system to minority students in the Kelley School of Business.

The group organized a corporate networking fair Tuesday featuring representatives from Ernst & Young, General Mills, Primerica, Target and JCPenney. The representatives participated in a Q-and-A panel discussion, which addressed student concerns like competition and traits of an ideal job
applicant.

The unanimous response to a question about what they look for in an ideal applicant was “leadership.” There was also “confidence” and a “desire to work with people.”

“Don’t worry about adversity or the person next to you in line for a job,” said Matt Hilligoss of JCPenney. “Stress what your strengths are today, in the moment.”

The panelists also said the key to maintaining hope is perseverance.

Laura Barnes Paley, associate director of Undergraduate Career Services in the Kelley School of Business, said the students who “hit the pavement again and again are typically the ones who succeed.”

Paley said though things are overall slower and tougher because of the difficult economy, it is important for students to realize they can utilize networking opportunities. She advises students, especially frustrated seniors who are already reaching out, to broaden their network base and ask to be introduced to more people.

“It’s a law of numbers,” Paley said. “For every few rejections, there are even more offers. You just have to know where and how to look.”

When it feels like all hope is gone, it is imperative to take a big step back to square one, which involves the indentification of one’s skill set and becoming what Paley called “action-oriented.”

Junior Lydana Hodges, vice president of promotions and advertising for the Undergraduate Black MBA Association, stressed the need to plan ahead for the future in spite of uncertainty about the economy.

“Everything happens so fast,” she said. “So when the time comes for you to act, it has to be real and you have to be ready to learn. I’m excited for what’s to come.”

Freshmen and sophomores who attended the fair seemed to believe in the importance of networking in preparation for future opportunities.

Freshman Deleon Lott said in reality, though odds are stacked against her in society as a black female student pursuing business, she feels uplifted attending events like this one.

“I feel more comfortable in the fact that I can do this,” she said. “You have to do what it takes and know what you want to do to get through tough times.”

Sophomore Walter Ballard said he felt inspired by the black representatives from some of the nation’s top companies.

“Being an African-American male in a recession is not easy,” he said. “But advice from someone who has made it is great. It’s like a small glass of hope on a home meal table.”