Hoosier fans can expect different team next year

Freshman guard Malik Story dunks over a Northwestern defender during the Hoosiers 83-65 win over Northwestern State Nov. 15, 2008 at Assembly Hall.

After finishing 6-25 in his inaugural season in Bloomington, IU coach Tom Crean and the Hoosier faithful are hoping for a difference next season.

Whether the wins or losses will improve remains to be seen. However, it is certain that the men taking the court will not be the same.

The ragtag group that made up the 2008-2009 team – a squad composed of players with virtually no Division I experience or any familiarity with one another – will have an influx of new players to go along with the remaining roster.

But not everyone from last season will return.

Kyle Taber will have graduated, and freshmen Malik Story and Nick Williams have both decided to transfer.

Story announced in late March his decision to leave IU, citing his desire to be closer to his family in California as his reason to leave.

“This was a very emotional decision for me,” Story said in a press release. “But I am blessed to have an outstanding support system in my family at home, and I want to be able to share my collegiate experiences with them.”

While Story’s decision to transfer was emotional, Williams’ choice to leave appears to be more tactical.

With an influx of incoming guards, including Indiana’s newly crowned Mr. Basketball Jordan Hulls and transfer guard Jeremiah Rivers (who will gain his eligibility), Williams looks to find a team where he can have a greater impact.

“I want to thank everyone at IU for their support this season,” Williams said in a press release. “I’m going to finish up the semester and then begin the process of finding a program where I can come in and have an impact for them.”

Just like seeing Williams and Story on the court was common last season, so was the sight of walk-ons receiving plenty of opportunities.

But with Rivers, Hulls and five other scholarship freshmen joining the team to complement future sophomores Tom Pritchard, Matt Roth and Verdell Jones and soon-to-be senior Devan Dumes, Hoosier fans can expect the majority of playing time to go to scholarship players.

This might explain why freshman walk-on Broderick Lewis will not be on the team next season.

Lewis will either focus on academics or try to get a scholarship at a lower-level program next year, Director of Media Relations J.D. Campbell said.

With two consistent starters and a sixth man leaving in Williams, Taber and Story, respectively, next year’s roster could look very different.
The newcomer anticipating the most early action is Rivers, who has previous experience at Georgetown. Incoming freshmen Maurice Creek and Christian Watford, the two highest-rated players on tap for next season, also appear to be early frontrunners to claim spots in Crean’s regular rotation.

But Crean has harped on the importance of creating competition in practices – and making anyone who wants to play next season earn it in practice.

In other words, time will tell. Much like last season, Hoosier nation will need to get to know many new faces.