Local restaurant is an unshaking Hoosier shrine

That Sandwich Place, a sandwich shop under the Nashville House in downtown Nashvillle, Ind., has more IU basketball memorabilia than items on the menu.

NASHVILLE, Ind. – While three national championship banners and a picture of former IU coach Bob Knight are the only remnants of his 29-year tenure in Bloomington, the “Bob Knight Chair of Honor” is just one of what seem to be infinite tributes to “The General” in nearby Nashville.

After stopping in for a bite at Larry Hawkins’ That Sandwich Place in Nashville, Ind., people will find they have just visited a Hoosier-hoops Mecca inspired by the legendary coach.

Hawkins, a Nashville resident and long-time IU fan, is not only a close friend of Knight and former players like Kent Benson, Steve Alford, Pat Graham and Dane Fife, but also most of the community.

“People take away a lot of memories from here,” Hawkins said. “It’s great to see friends come back with their friends, parents and even grandparents.”

Offering a menu primarily made up of American food, Hawkins takes pride in the hamburgers, tenderloins and signature “Hi-Calorie Salads” he has served to his countless customers throughout the years.

Despite the plethora of pictures of “The General,” signed team photos and memorabilia recalling the motion offense in Bloomington, Hawkins’ theme for his eatery was not always Hoosier Hysteria.

“We started by just putting antiques on the shelves, but then I received a painting from C.W. Monday, an artist who still lives in Carmel today, that inspired me,” Hawkins said.

The painting depicts the starting five “Hurryin’ Hoosiers” from the 1976 national championship team; the last men’s collegiate basketball team to complete an undefeated season. Monday’s work of art served as a cornerstone for a shrine to Knight and Indiana basketball.

Loyalty is important to Hawkins, and it is a trademark at his restaurant.
Knight, who has his own chair and round table in the corner of the shop for when he comes in to visit his friend, always demanded loyalty from his players, assistants and friends.

Hawkins, who sat behind the IU bench at every game for 20 years until Knight was fired, values the loyalty and countless relationships he has built with co-workers and customers, a loyalty that grew out of the Knight-inspired atmosphere of the restaurant.

Jeni Moberly can attest, as she has been Hawkins’ right-hand man – well, woman – for more than 30 years.

“She really runs this place. I just do all of the PR stuff,” Hawkins said jokingly. “I told a friend once that she does 90 percent to my 10 percent.”

Moberly has found a second home in the restaurant as well, attributing Hawkins’ charisma to its success.

“He’s the greatest guy to work for,” she said. “The atmosphere here is just wonderful.”

Sam and Sharon Alford, the parents of former All-American Steve Alford, are two of the
IU-tied relationships Moberly has built through the restaurant. On occasion, Moberly heads down nearby Clay Lick Road to Lake Sweetwater to help the Alfords around the house.

“I go over to their house and help them about once a year,” Moberly said. “I’ve just met so many people and friends during my time here.”

Lexi Dollens and Lance Padgett, both of Anderson, Ind., also took notice of how committed Hawkins is to his work on their first visit to Nashville.

“The food is great, and it brings back memories of me and my dad watching IU basketball games,” said Padgett, 20.

Dollens, 20, never grew up a big basketball fan, but was still in awe of the eatery’s environment.

“It’s our first time here,” Dollens said, “but you can just tell the owners put their heart into this place and are like a family.”