IU’s Phi Beta Sigma chapter wins annual Statewide Step Show

Members of the step dance group Indiana Revolution kneel during their kung fu-inspired performance in the 25th Annual Statewide Step Show Saturday evening at the IU Auditorium. Eight teams from around the state, including teams from every Phi Beta Sigma chapter in the state, competed for the top prize of $3,000.

The price – and the steps – were right for IU’s chapter of Phi Beta Sigma at this year’s Statewide Step Show.

The chapter won the 25th Annual Statewide Step Show, earning a $3,000 prize.
The show, which took place Saturday at the IU Auditorium, was sponsored by Phi Beta Sigma.

For the third straight year, IU’s chapter took the title, earning bragging rights and the honor of playing host to next year’s competition.

The event brings together step teams from across the state and the country for two competitions.

Comedian Josh Busby emceed the show.

There were two competitions – one for the $3,000 prize and another to determine next year’s host.

Indiana Revolution Step Team won the money, beating out a chapter of Lambda Upsilon Lambda fraternity from New York.

Indiana Revolution Step Team’s performance featured a kung fu-inspired scene, with steppers proving their abilities in precision and speed.

After a brief intermission, chapters of Phi Beta Sigma from IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, Purdue and IU competed for the honor of being host to next year’s Statewide Step Show.

“This part is about more than money,” Busby said. “This is about pride.”

Junior Javon Williams, a member of IU’s Phi Beta Sigma, said he thought his chapter’s creativity pushed its team to victory.

“We thought outside the box,” Williams said.

The routine featured contestants guessing the value of different steps. Audience members jumped to their feet and applauded some of the longer step segments in the routine.

Phi Beta Sigma President Jeff London said a third consecutive win is evidence of the team’s skill.

“If we’re out there winning, we’re doing something right,” London said.

Junior Tia Walker said the competition brings diversity to IU.

“I hope that other organizations on campus would get involved in something like this,” Walker said. “The University needs more of this. We need to invest more in the African-American community.”

In addition, shows like the Statewide Step Show promote student involvement, sophomore Lauren Payne said.

“It brings everybody together for a break from school,” Payne said. “It’s an enjoyable time.”

London said the show is an expression of brotherhood within the chapter and is also a good show for the community.

“It’s a show everyone believes is entertaining,” London said. “It brings out the best in us.”