Bloomington arts council celebrates 35 years

In celebration of the Bloomington Area Arts Council’s  35th birthday, the council has planned 35 “unbirthday” parties between January and September, said Steve Pierson, office manager for the council.

The next party, “A Leprechaun’s Birthday,” will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the John Waldron Art Center.

The idea for the unbirthday parties came from the animated movie “Alice in Wonderland,” said Rob Hanrahan, development director for the Arts Council.

The first unbirthday party in January involved the release of 3,500 balloons down the art center’s main staircase, Hanrahan said. The balloons rushed down the staircase to the bottom where people could play in them.

Besides parties open to the general public once a month, special luncheons are also considered unbirthday celebrations, Hanrahan said.

With St. Patrick’s Day approaching, “A Leprechaun’s Birthday” was the perfect choice, Hanrahan said.

“Who would ever think a leprechaun had a birthday?” he said.

After working for Disney, Hanrahan said he always looks for the unexpected. Instead of predictably choosing to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, Hanrahan said he wanted to put on a celebration that would catch the community’s attention.

A fire truck and a bagpipe musician will greet guests at the entrance of the celebration, Hanrahan said.

Inside the art center, refreshments and music will be provided, Pierson said, as well as an appearance by the guest of honor.

Whoever catches a leprechaun will receive a pot of gold, Hanrahan said, but attendees of the event are asked not to capture the leprechaun.

“Because it’s the leprechaun’s birthday, we promised no one would chase him,” Hanrahan said.

Every unbirthday party has a cake, Pierson said, and the leprechaun’s cake will be shaped like a pot of gold. At the official birthday party in September, the goal is to have a 35-tiered cake, Hanrahan said.

“I believe 39 feet, four inches is the Guinness World Record,” he said. “We’re shooting to go over that.”

The unbirthday parties are a way to unite people and celebrate all the Arts Council has done for the community, Hanrahan said.  He also said he thinks the celebrations will grow with each party. More than 50 guests have already confirmed their attendance to the leprechaun’s birthday, he said. The art center does not require party-goers to register or R.S.V.P. to attend.