Ballet classic, original work to play at MAC this weekend

The IU Ballet Theater will present “Variations on a Russian Theme,” which combines a shortened version of Tchaikovsky’s 19th-century classical ballet “Swan Lake” and the world premiere performance of “My Eyes Opened” by Pennsylvania Ballet choreographer-in-residence Matthew Neenan.

“I think every ballet dancer knows ‘Swan Lake’ because it’s the ultimate ballerina role,” said Demetria Schioldager, who dances as Odette, the White Swan.

“I’ve always wanted to do the role ever since I saw it. It’s been around for over 100 years. The choreography – when you do it – you feel like you’re part of the history of the ballet,” she said.

This version of “Swan Lake” was staged by IU Ballet Department Chair Michael Vernon and choreographer and American ballerina Cynthia Gregory, who famously performed the role of Odette/Odile with the American Ballet Theatre.

“Having Cynthia Gregory here was a huge help because she was the most famous one who ever performed in Swan Lake,” Shioldager said. “If you looked to perfection of the role, she’s it.”  

Grace Reeves, who will perform as Odile, the Black Swan, studied Gregory’s performance on YouTube.  

“She really mastered the role, and everything she had to say was full of wisdom,” Reeves said. “She’s so nice and helpful, but she’s like a legend.”

Reeves said acting the part of Odette’s evil dissembler is as difficult as the choreography.  

“I have to show that I’m this evil imposter to the audience, but still pretend like I’m Odette, loving and great, and trick the prince at the same time,” she said. “Both roles at once can be hard to remember.”

Vernon said that this is the first IU ballet in which only IU ballet majors will perform.
“I’ve stopped this policy of having guest artists,” he said. “We have dancers that are very accomplished.”

“Swan Lake” will last about half as long as the classical production.  

“We always have to build new audiences, and I think one way to do that is to take the classics and present them in a way that is meaningful to young people,” Vernon said.

“I think the way to present ‘Swan Lake’ is to cut it, because a lot of the old ballets have a lot of filler in them.  I love the tradition, I love the past, but I’m not married to it.”