Students look for bargains during recession

Salvation Army volunteer and IU junior Yin Chen refuses to spend more than $20 on a pair of shoes. She looks for cheap buys in shops such as Hollister and only buys items on sale.

She said she wouldn’t be surprised if she finds herself in the Salvation Army thrift store where she volunteers in search for cheap buys.

“I could see myself shopping here,” Chen said. “Because of the economy, it’s the way to shop.”

As students’ bank accounts slowly dwindle after they receive their financial aid, many would like to shop cheaply.

But not many students know that thrift stores exist in Bloomington, said Goodwill Industries manager Karin Molt.

“There are Goodwills in town,” she said. “Students might not even think about shopping here.”

About 20 percent of The Salvation Army thrift store’s customers are students, said Nathan Seat, assistant manager of the store. He said the rest of the customers are mostly regulars and people from low-income families.

He said although the Salvation Army is targeted for those in need, he includes
students in that category.

“Students shop here quite often,” he said. “They’re a lot easier to please, and they’re crushed on cash too.”

Molt said her store, located at 840 S. Auto Mall Rd., often gets a rush of students during special events for which they need to find cheap costumes. She also said there are more students coming into the store during the summer than in the winter because students are more in need during the summer.

Senior Jennifer Locke said she liked to shop at Goodwill once or twice a week. She liked it so much that she decided to join the managerial team. She said it’s fun to shop for cheap finds and hunt down special items.

“I get a lot more for my money,” she said.

Goodwill employee Kyle Penn said he sees students shop at the store every day, and they will get more bang for their buck if they shop in thrift stores such as Goodwill where students can find brand-name items.

“Shirts here cost $4 each,” he said, “while at the mall, they cost about $20.”

Students can save money by showing their Campus Access cards to some local retailers. Students can receive 10- to 20-percent discounts in restaurants, spas and car rentals.

Students can also save money by joining the IU Student Alumni Association. The membership costs $15, but IUSAA members receive a membership card that gives them 10- to 20-percent discounts, said IUSAA President Lindsey Livingston.

Livingston said she and other leaders of the association often go out to dinner at places that accept their IUSAA membership discount.

“I would definitely say the card pays for itself,” she said.

IUSAA Director of Engagement Christina Duff said membership also includes free access to events such as etiquette dinners.  She said as a frugal shopper, her IUSAA membership has saved her a lot of money.

“Living under budget is something I needed to adjust to,” Duff said. “In high school, money was just water to me, but in college, I’m more cautious about things.”

Graduate students Heather Essex and Jay Henry pinch their pennies, too. To save money, Henry suggests shopping for textbooks on Amazon.com rather than buying them at the bookstore. Essex said she does most of her shopping at Wal-Mart.

“It’s an evil empire globally, but it works for my local economy,” she said. “And by that, I mean my wallet.”