IU Civic Leadership holds 3rd annual pie a professor

Charity event donates to Big Brothers Big Sisters

Ever feel like throwing something at your professor?

Here’s your chance.

Kelley School of Business students will be hurling whipped cream pies at professors for charity from 7 to 8 p.m. today in room 219 of the business school.   

The event is held by IU’s Civic Leadership Development to raise funds for Big Brothers Big Sisters’ largest annual fundraising campaign.

Sixteen professors will be participating in the event. 

“I like pie,” School of Public and Environmental Affairs professor Steven Kreft said. “If you’re smart, you open your mouth.”

Kreft said, all jokes aside, the event is for a good cause.

“I teach a corporate social responsibility class, and to be able to teach it is one thing and to learn it is another,” Kreft said.

Kreft has participated in the event since it began two years ago and encourages his students to participate.

$1 raffle tickets will determine who gets to throw a pie. Participants can also buy a $10 T-shirt in exchange for 10 raffle tickets, Brittany Nelson, CLD vice president, said.

“Our goal for IU is $40,000,” said Joanne Stebbins, associate development director for Big Brothers Big Sisters. This number will include other fundraisers taking place around IU’s campus that contribute to Big Brothers Big Sisters. Bowl For Kid’s Sake is another fundraiser.

The bowling teams were asked to try and come up with $500 to donate, Nelson said.

“They are a great, organized group of students with interesting things on their minds.
They are very self-motivated,” Kreft said of CLD. “I’ve been very impressed.”
Kreft said he is looking forward to the event.

“My job is easy,” Kreft said. “I just sit back and enjoy the ride.”