Students study abroad in Israel despite Hamas attacks

A Palestinian woman stands on the rubble of a destroyed building after an Israeli airstrike Wednesday in Gaza City. Two and a half weeks of Israel's fierce assaults on Gaza's Hamas rulers have destroyed at least $1.4 billion worth of buildings, water pipes, roads, power lines and other assets, independent Palestinian surveyors say.

Junior Sara Geboff has dreamed of studying abroad in Israel since she was 13 years old. Infatuated with the culture and history, she is currently studying at Hebrew University in Jerusalem for the semester.

Unlike in the United States, Geboff now feels like part of the majority population, she said in an e-mail. The current violence in Gaza did not stop her from studying and living there.

“Israel is our homeland, our rock and safe haven,” she said. “I could not imagine turning my back on Israel now or at any other time.”

Despite the warnings and inherent dangers of living in Israel, eight IU students are studying throughout the country this semester through the IU Office of Overseas Study, said Kathleen Sideli, associate vice president for the office of overseas study. She describes the students as dedicated to their study there.

“They are very committed,” Sideli said. “They understand that it’s a very sensitive time in Israel. They’re being very cautious.”

Students sign a special waiver to travel in countries that are under State Department warnings, Sideli said. Such countries include Pakistan, Georgia and Iran.

She said IU students in Israel also learn safety precautions through programs at their various universities.

Sideli said the overseas department makes sure the students are not in direct harm. For example, students aren’t allowed to travel into Gaza.

“We can never guarantee their safety,” she said. “Should things escalate, then the committee might have to reconsider its decision. Students have to be prepared to follow the guidelines.”

Junior Eric Goode is studying in Be’er Sheva, Israel, which is in the danger zone for Hamas rockets.  However, he said in an e-mail interview his program moved to Sdai Boker, Israel, which is just outside of Be’er Sheva and outside of the danger zone.

He said in the e-mail when he applied to study in Be’er Sheva, there was no way to predict there would be war between Israel and Gaza. However, he said he doesn’t regret his decision, and he doesn’t plan on turning back.

“I don’t think I could study in any other cities,” he said in the e-mail. “Be’er Sheva has been my home for six months. I would feel like I was abandoning a family if I didn’t return.”

Senior Omri Eban is studying at Tel Aviv University in Tel Aviv, Israel, which he said is about 80 kilometers away from the danger zone. He is currently staying with family and has visited Israel several times before.

Even though he is not in direct danger of Hamas rockets, he said the war has greatly affected the people in Tel Aviv. He also has a cousin who the Israeli Defense Force called in for service.

“Everyone here is glued to their TV sets, watching the news,” he said. “It’s pretty scary for the whole family.”

IU music professor Eli Eban is Omri’s father and said he encouraged his son to go to Israel.

“I encourage him to act like the Israelis,” he said. “I want him to have a good, normal life, and that’s the point of sending him there.”

Despite the danger he faces and the disappointment that Israel is in war, Omri Eban doesn’t plan on leaving Tel Aviv anytime soon.

“I try not to let it affect my everyday life,” he said. “I went to Tel Aviv last night, partied and had a good time.”