Hoosiers overwhelmed by early deficits

IU freshman guard Daniel Moore and Ohio State Guard/Forward Evan Turner reach for the ball Tuesday evening on the road in Ohio State. The Hoosiers lost 77-53. The Hoosiers face Penn State Saturday at Assembly Hall.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – If you miss the first five minutes of a Hoosier road game this season, you might not want to bother tuning in.

Odds are the game is already over.

Add Ohio State to the list of teams that have blown out the Hoosiers before they were winded. The Buckeyes shot lights-out in the opening minutes, hitting seven of their first 10 shots and scoring their first 27 points off 3-point plays (eight 3s, one traditional 3-point play).

Much like in IU’s games against Illinois and Kentucky, the team found itself facing an insurmountable lead just minutes into the game.

Five minutes in, the Buckeyes led 15-6; 10 minutes, 27-10. By halftime, the only question remaining was how much Ohio State would win by.

Twenty-four. IU lost, 77-53.

In the team’s five road games this season, IU’s opponents have hit an alarming 62 percent of their first 10 shots, setting the tone for lopsided losses for the cream and crimson.

On Tuesday, the Buckeyes finished one short of a school record, hitting 11 3-pointers in the first half. Sometimes they were contested, other times they were not.

“We were just taking shots they were giving us,” said Ohio State guard Jon Diebler, who hit five of Ohio State’s 13 3-pointers.

Whether it’s been a barrage of 3-pointers, an array of alley oops or an abundance of turnovers, IU has found itself on the wrong side of double-digit leads early in four of five road games.

“We’re not doing everything we can,” junior guard Devan Dumes said of the opening minutes. “It’s not a given they should just do that. If we come out with more intensity every time and stick with our game plan to a ‘T’ it will help us.”

In the first five minutes of IU’s five road losses this season, the Hoosiers have combined to be outscored, 63-24. By halftime, the Hoosiers have been down by an average of 19.2 points per game.

“We get into these situations in the game and at some point in time we realize we can compete in the game,” IU coach Tom Crean said after the game. “But unfortunately, the other team has already made a substantial mark at that point in how the game is going to be played.”

With a young, inexperienced group, Crean said the Hoosiers need “to be ready to fight at the start of the game.”

Unfortunately for the Hoosiers, IU has yet to open a road game with a strong performance.

“I think it’s mental,” freshman guard Verdell Jones said. “We just have to come in and understand with each other that we’re going to come out and fight, buckle down and get some stops.”

Crean said he’ll continue to exhaust all options when it comes to improving his team. He said the Hoosiers will continue to have “competitive and combative” practices and hopes the team will show improvement early in the game when playing in road battles.

“I think about it 10 times a day,” Crean said. “’What can we be doing differently?’”