China and the green revolution

To say that China is the biggest polluter in the world is true, but it is also a gross misconstruing of reality.

According to a recent report from The Climate Group, an independent international non-profit organization, China’s energy efficiency levels are actually commendable considering the tremendous modernization it has undergone.

However, based on China’s estimated emissions and current status as the world’s largest greenhouse gas emitter, many conclude that China compromises the environment to focus on economic growth. Many also cite China’s ratification of the Kyoto Protocol as a sleight of hand in its commitment to sustainability.

Though China has overtaken the United States in emissions, it is not obligated to reduce greenhouse gas emissions under the agreement because much of its production is based on demand from Western countries.

The West outsources its carbon emissions to China. More importantly, China’s population is four times that of America’s, but its carbon intensity per person is barely above the world average.

The truth is China will go nowhere near the excessiveness of western societies given the direction it has taken. The problem is due to its sheer size, the statistics balloon for China, making it the target board for criticism.

Much of the slandering of China can be attributed to the country’s reputation, which does not resonate positively. Many factors account for this problem – its political system, human rights record, manufacturing debacles and corruption.

Some of the concerns are real, others exaggerated. But when it comes to green initiatives, the negative claims are largely borne of ignorance; China is ahead in this area.

The Chinese government and business leaders are attuned to the challenges of climate change and have actively pursued green policies and divested investment into clean technologies.

This is evidenced by the many significant environmental thresholds China can claim to achieve: The Renewables 2007 Global Status Report published that China is a “leading renewable energy producer,” and that it also has “the largest hydro-electric fleet and fifth largest wind power fleet in the world.”

In 2008, Singapore and China collaborated on the Tianjin Eco-city, a sustainable city development project. More recently, China announced the construction of the world’s largest solar plant.

With the advent of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, many caught a glimpse of the capital’s rapid modernization. But from Shenzhen to Dalian, Guangzhou to Shanghai, many of the leading cities of China are catching up or on par with modern Asian counterparts like Taipei, Singapore, Seoul and Tokyo.

China has the ability to transform itself effectively. If human history is any indicator, China will ease into its position as a global economic power, and renewable technology could be its flagship industry.

Up until the 15th century, China was consistently one of the biggest and most advanced economies in the world.

An example of China’s past strength is seen in Chinese Admiral Zheng He’s ambitious voyages during the Ming Dynasty. His fleet stood as the most technologically advanced and powerful naval force that rode the waters 80 years before Christopher Columbus or Vasco da Gama set sail.

Sino-US relations are marked quintessentially by their economic partnerships, but there is another important partnership that can arise and affect many college students’ lives – the Sino-U.S. green partnership.

Now that President Barack Obama is in power, his new energy vision will be set in motion.

With the appointment of Chinese-American Steven Chu as the energy secretary, Obama probably understands the Chinese connection and its importance in the green revolution.