Indiana takes center stage in presidential election

Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin poses for a photo with a supporter during a rally Wednesday in Jeffersonville.

In the final hours of the presidential election, Indiana voters find themselves in an unfamiliar position.

Hoosier votes are being fought for by both major parties for the first time in more than four decades.

In the past week alone, Gov. Sarah Palin visited Jeffersonville, Ind., on Wednesday, Sen. Barack Obama rallied in Lake County on Friday and Sen. Joe Biden stumped on Saturday in Evansville.

Sen. John McCain’s rally in Indianapolis today will mark the eighth combined visit between the two parties since the beginning of October.

For the first time in years, the traditionally Republican stronghold is garnering attention late in the election season and is one of a handful of states that will help decide the next president.

“This is an incredible role,” said Justin Hill, chairman of IU Students for John McCain. “For the first time in a long time Indiana is in contention.”

Indiana solidified itself as a swing state in October, when polls tightened and Obama, Biden and Palin began blitzing the state.

Palin and Obama have each visited the state three times, and Biden and McCain have each visited once since Oct. 8.

All of this new enthusiasm and focus on Indiana means great things for student involvement, Hill said.

He said research shows that people who vote in their first election have a better chance of being lifetime voters than those who don’t.

He said he’s excited to see so many students getting involved in the process.
“The fact that it’s getting people involved now will get them involved in the future as well,” Hill said.

Students working for both campaigns said Indiana’s battleground status gives them extra motivation to get students to vote for their candidate.

“It’s given us that incentive to work that much harder, and getting students to the polls is that much more important,” said Anna Strand, president of the IU College Democrats.

Strand said Indiana will play a pivotal role on election day.

“Indiana could be a make-or-break for this campaign,” she said.