Football captures the flag

Two men play flag football at the Intramural Flag Football Championships on Nov. 12, 2006, at Mellencamp Pavillion.

As the crowd cheered two fraternities competing for the Men’s I intramural flag football championship Nov. 9 inside the John Mellencamp Pavilion, one thing was obvious: Flag football is the most popular intramural sport on campus. While Beta Theta Pi went on to win the championship against Phi Gamma Delta, the sport itself was just as much of a winner.

Though flag football has always been one of most popular intramural sports on campus, enrollment has grown quickly over the last few years. This fall, 4,140 students signed up to play intramural flag football, which is the highest number in five years, said Satoshi Kido, assistant director of intramural sports for RecSports.

Participants include both undergraduate and graduate students. Players have the option of joining one of five leagues: men’s division I & II, co-ed division I & II or the women’s division. The average team consists of 10-12 players, and RecSports charges a $50 fee per team, according to www.iurecsports.org.  

The intramural flag football season runs from mid-September to mid-November. Games take place Sunday afternoons and weeknights at the North Fee Lane Fields. The John Mellencamp Pavilion indoor facility hosts the league championships.

In addition to having more than 4,000 IU players, the flag football organization employs more than 100 students as officials.

Intramural Graduate Assistant Carolyn Garrone said having student employees contributes to the popularity of the sport and the interaction between student-players and student-employees helps make it a “social and fun environment.”

Junior Lance Mullins, a first-year intramural flag football official, decided to give officiating a try this year because three of his roommates are referees, too. He said the job is especially exciting when the games are close. Players’ might disagree with his calls, but he realizes disagreement is just another part of the game. 

“You’re going to get some feedback,” Mullins said. “You just have to show that you know the rules better than anyone else.”

Junior Camron Monnier first played intramural football three years ago as a freshman. He says intramural flag football helped him meet people on his floor and make friends during his first year of school.

“That’s how we all met,” he said. “Those guys are my roommates now.”

Monnier enjoys the camaraderie and unity of playing with his friends on a team, but it is not the only positive for him. The competition and exercise are also appealing aspects of the game.

“The best part is scoring touchdowns and winning,” says Monnier. “Plus, it keeps me in shape.”