IU alumnus opens new gallery in Bloomington

Artwork is displayed Sunday afternoon at The Venue Fine Arts and Gifts.

After graduating from IU with a degree in studio art in 2005, curator Gabe Colman has returned to his former stomping grounds to open The Venue, a gallery featuring fine collections of local, national and international works by award-winning artists. Colman said it has turned into his dream job.

“Creating The Venue has been the process of my dream becoming a reality,” Colman said. “I couldn’t be happier with how it came together.”

Designing The Venue became a family affair.

Once Colman decided he wanted to open an art gallery in Bloomington, his father Dave Colman turned over his former law office, and the transformation process began.

“It was very much an office – fluorescent lights and all,” Colman said. “But after repainting every wall I could get my hands on and installing the track lighting, it became the most perfectly framed, romantic environment.”

Following the remodeling, Colman and his father ventured into many of the local Bloomington galleries and began talking with owners about their experiences.

“Everyone I spoke with was very helpful and supportive,” Colman said. “I was given the opportunity to work with so many charming artists.”

SoFA Gallery Director Betsy Stirratt gave Colman advice about working in the art world.

“When I met with Gabe over the summer, I told him about the business of art,” she said. “When you start up anything, it’s going to be slightly difficult, but I could see how passionate he was about this. He’s gotten a great start already.”

After receiving countless blessings from family members and gallery owners, Colman said, he and his father drove to Ann Arbor, Mich., for the Ann Arbor Street Arts Fair in hopes of finding artists who were willing to display their work in The Venue. After the four-day-long festival, artists began sending in samples of their work.

Soon after, Colman’s friends and family members began recommending artists to be featured in the gallery. One of these artists was long-time Bloomington resident Barb Bonchek, whose work is currently featured in The Venue.

Bonchek’s free-hand, geometric designs caught the attention of Colman’s friend, who knew Colman had been searching for an artist such as Bonchek who used black and white mediums.

While Bonchek said she is thrilled to have her work on display in The Venue, she is even happier for Colman and his family.

“I have known the family for years, and I give them so much credit for transforming a law office into a fabulous art display,” Bonchek said. “It is a very classy place.”

Both Bonchek and Colman said they are firm believers in affordable art. Colman said he has priced much of the art in the gallery specifically for students.

“We’re very focused on student interest,” Colman said. “I want anyone who has a $20 impulse buy to be able to purchase something.”

Being a former student, Colman said he hopes someday The Venue will be a showcase for IU students’ artwork.

“For me, that really would be the most ideal cycle to go through,” Colman said. “I graduated from IU, and now I’m back hoping to someday work with students who are doing the same thing I once did.”