Hilltop serves up food, fun

Pumpkin pie, cookies, apple cider and pumpkin carving workshops will be just a few things on the menu at the Great Pumpkin Party from 3 to 7 p.m. this Friday at Hilltop Garden and Nature Center off 10th Street.

“This year, we wanted to offer some more interactive activities that will involve more of the community than in past years,” said Greg Speichert, director of the Hilltop Garden and Nature Center. “This year will be our tester to see how the event runs, and hopefully we can expand it in the years to come.”

Community members will have the opportunity to buy food tickets, which they can spend on a variety of available foods offered by FARMBloomington chef Daniel Orr, who will be present at the event.

Speichert said he hopes the event will attract a good portion of the student population with the lower-priced foods that would be much more expensive if they were to eat at FARMBloomington.

In addition to quality food, Musgrave Orchard and Cider Mill of Bloomington will donate apples for apple cider and apple dunking.

“We wanted to create a family-oriented atmosphere, so we will offer five or six children’s activities,” Speichert said. “These will include apple dunking, cookie decorating and making Halloween masks.”

Speichert said proceeds from this event will go toward fundraising and scholarships for the Youth Garden Program, a summer program that entices children to become lifelong gardeners.