Colts go on the offensive on defense, dominate Ravens

Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason (85) is tackled after a reception, by Indianapolis Colts' Melvin Bullitt (33) during the second half of an NFL football game on Sunday in Indianapolis. The Colts won 31-3, marking the team's first regular-season victory at Lucas Oil Stadium.

INDIANAPOLIS ­– Four sacks, three interceptions and four fumbles: Through four quarters Sunday, the Colts looked like they had the best defense in the NFL.

And they owe it all to their offense.

An Indianapolis defense that was built to play with a lead finally got to play with one during Sunday’s 31-3 win against the Baltimore Ravens.

By the time the Colt’s defense gave up its first first down of the game, the offense had already scored two touchdowns. That, coach Tony Dungy said, was key.

“We got ahead,” Dungy said, “and put them in some passing situations.”

The Colts were up 17-0 at the end of the first quarter, too big a lead for the Ravens to try to grind it out on the ground.

Anybody who’s watched the Colts over the past five years or so knows they much prefer defending the pass over the run.

“We stopped the run pretty good, had some negative plays, a lot of sacks up there,” said linebacker and defensive captain Gary Brackett. “We really got those guys in third-and-uncomfortable situations, and I think we won them.”

Not bad for a defense that has been far from stellar this season.

In its first four games, the Indianapolis defense intercepted two passes, recovered three fumbles and gave up an average of 353 total yards, 188 rushing yards and 23 points per game, which earned them the distinction of being the 25th-best defense in the NFL. It didn’t help that the offense struggled in each of them, as quarterback Peyton Manning tried to readjust to the game after missing early practices with preseason surgery.

But Sunday, it looked like the Colts – not the Ravens – had the top-ranked defense in the NFL.

And they did it with star safety Bob Sanders out and defensive end Dwight Freeney on the sidelines for most of the game, resting his injured hamstring.

“It’s never about who’s not playing,” Brackett said. “They really don’t have an impact on the game.”

On Sunday, the Colts limited the Ravens to just three points on 260 total yards – only 51 came on the ground.

The difference, the Colts said, was the little things – pushing through blocks, remembering assignments and finishing tackles.

“We have just been a little bit off on things,” Dungy said. “We haven’t been as sharp as we needed to (be).”

It’s as if a completely different team showed up on Sunday.

“People (have) been harping our size a whole lot this year,” said defensive end Robert Mathis. “(We’re) tired of hearing what we are not doing and (wanted to) show everyone what we can do.”

After Sunday’s performance, people are starting to talk about the Colts defense differently.

“They play fast,” said John Harbaugh, Ravens coach and IU men’s basketball coach Tom Crean’s brother-in-law. “They get off blocks, and they get to the football and tackle well.”

More praise will likely come. But Brackett said if the Colts want a repeat of Sunday’s dominating defensive performance, they have to tune out the hype.

“You can’t drink the Kool-Aid,” he said.