The sun shines on this show

“How was it not believable that Arnie and I were twins?”

Unlike the majority of sitcoms on television, “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia” is actually good.

The show’s tagline is “Seinfeld on crack,” so if you like “Seinfeld,” and you like crack, then this show is for you.

“Sunny” is probably the most original thing to make it on TV since “South Park” weaseled its way onto Comedy Central, and the two shows aren’t as dissimilar as you’d think.

The show is a product of a few guys who made a pilot episode that was subsequently picked up by FX. It was so good, they convinced Danny DeVito to play a lead role in the sitcom.

What’s somewhat unique about the show is the lack of continuous plot threads. There are some recurring characters that pop in and out, but there is no real order to the episodes. Thus, viewers can watch any episode with ease; again, just like “Seinfeld.”

However, “Sunny” does not take on a light-hearted persona like its older relative. The tone is dark, like midnight in Alaska during the winter dark. 

The show covers hot topics like dumpster babies, North Korea, sex offenders, retardation, molestation, incest, huffing inhalants and homeless masturbation in alleys and exploits them for the purposes of comedy. It’s simply genius.

But even for this show, the plots in season three got out of hand and were too unbelievable. The crazy season falls a bit short of the greatness of the first two, but it has plenty of great moments. 

The bonus features are a little lacking. The “Sunny Side Up Vol. 2” featurette finds the cast/creators during their recreational wrestling match, and they pretty much remain in character throughout. If you are looking to buy some “Sunny,” go with the season 1 and 2 box set, which features a solid “Making of” featurette.

Even with a wacky season three, “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia” remains one of the best comedies on television. Seriously, any show that has the balls to feature babies in dumpsters is tremendously awesome in my book.