Style trumps substance on 'Gossip Girl'

Rich, white people suddenly find themselves living out of their car.

If you thought “The O.C.” was vapid and shallow, don’t even bother with “Gossip Girl.”
After their California teenage drama was canceled in 2007, writers and producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage switched coasts and adapted Cecily von Ziegesar’s hit book series.

The result: The kids here are even more wealthy, which means they are also more glamorous and scandalous. But they’re also less likeable. When Serena, played by “it girl” Blake Lively, returns to New York after her mysterious disappearance, the whole town knows she’s back by the time she arrives at the train station.

All the Manhattan teenage socialites are talked about on “Gossip Girl”’s blog, whose anonymous narrator is voiced by Kristen Bell (“Veronica Mars”). The technology that these teenagers use reflects their fast-paced lifestyle, as well as the timeliness of this particular teen soap.

The other cultural time capsule of “Gossip Girl,” and arguably its best aspect, is the fashion. Additionally, the explanation of each character’s unique style is the best special feature. Even critical New York blog Gawker drooled over pictures of the pretty cast members while they shot episodes in the Hamptons this summer.

While Serena’s style is more bohemian and borderline messy, her counterpart Blair (Leighton Meester) is classic, always accented with something sassy. Serena’s Brooklyn boytoy Dan (Penn Badgley) is an East Coast, watered-down Seth Cohen, complete with cardigans and vintage suits. 

While their outfits are perfectly planned out, the depth of the actual characters leaves something to be desired.

One would hope that the outsider is more interesting and deep than his old-money counterparts, but Dan is an indie boy cliche. The more interesting male character is the conniving Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick) who is always scheming something. But even his brooding and subtle hints of humanism get old. 

But perhaps I’m being too hard on “Gossip Girl.” It’s chock-full of drama and pretty people, and ultimately entertaining. After all, this is the first teenage soap I’ve watched after my own grade school days were long gone. But both its novelty and relatable aspects have worn thin.

It’s not that I don’t like the style, I just wish there were more substance.