No. 14 IU men's soccer team defeats Wisconsin 3-2

Freshman forward Will Bruin struggles to keep control of the ball as Winsconsin's Pablo Delgado Inglada grabs his shirt during Sunday's game at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

It began quietly, a bolt of lightning in the midst of sunshine. Then the downpour came.

Lightning struck in the 69th minute of the Hoosiers’ 3-2 overtime victory against Wisconsin on Sunday, forcing an hour-long delay.

IU coach Mike Freitag said he lectured the team on the importance of coming out strong after the unexpected intermission.

“A lot of teams would go down the tubes, especially when you get a break,” Freitag said. “I’d like this team to get tougher mentally. I’d love to win, but I think we made it harder than we had to.”

In their first Big Ten game of the season and their 300th at Jerry Yeagley Field, the Hoosiers came out sluggish in the first half.

After a pair of near-makes, senior forward Brian Ackley connected to give the Hoosiers their first goal in the 36th minute.

Only four minutes later, Wisconsin’s Scott Lorenz scored off a free kick to tie the game.

Junior forward Neil Wilmarth scored while wide open in the 66th minute. The team’s celebration was cut short by an IU foul seconds later.

Less than a minute after the Hoosiers took the lead, Wisconsin’s Taylor Waspi converted a free kick in the top left corner, tying the match 2-2.

Two minutes after the Badgers’ goal, lightning struck during a commercial timeout – the game was broadcast on the Big Ten Network. The teams were forced off the field, and fans cleared the bleachers.

Heavy rain and thunderstorms kept everything on hold, as remaining supporters waited for the match to resume.

While waiting for the storm to clear, the team passed the time with tic-tac-toe and granola bars. Sitting with his teammates, Wilmarth said he tried to focus on the game ahead.

“I just knew the intensity had to be there, because you could easily fall asleep on the field out there, not playing for however long it was,” Wilmarth said.

A bolt of proverbial lightning appeared to have struck the Hoosiers after play resumed, as the home side ferociously entered the final stages of the game.

In the dying minutes of regulation, both senior midfielder Brad Ring and Wilmarth received yellow cards after committing hard fouls.

“It was an emotional game,” Wilmarth said. “We knew we were better than that team, and we needed to show it. We’re a good team, and they capitalized on our mistakes.”

Junior midfielder Eric Alexander had the winner, though, as he closed out the victory in sudden-death overtime after rifling home a cross from Wilmarth.

Happy with the win, Ackley said the Hoosiers can’t be complacent after too many defensive lapses.

“It’s great we got the win, but now we realize that we can’t be lackluster and we got to fight every game,” Ackley said.

Freitag said Ackley and Wilmarth – both substitutes – could start for his team. Their insertion into the game provided an offensive lift that had been missing.

“Every chance you get to step on the field is a privilege,” Ackley said. “We have eight forwards that could play any given time. When you’re called, you’ve got to make an impact.”